Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to Disable Shadows

Hello!

I am attempting to use a large background image as a view backdrop for my scene while using a dome light
    I noticed that a large shadow is being cast on my model, despite turning the "Affect Shadow" and "Cast Shadow" settings off.

Is there a setting I'm missing? how should I resolve this?
    Thanks!

I am using Rhino 6.27 and Vray 4.20.02
    Attached Files

is it a fresh created material of VfR4.2 or from an old version? Maybe a fresh one helps.

Couldn't you use a simple emitter material for the background image?
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Yep, this material was created by scratch in the newest version of VfR.

I'm curious, what do you mean by an emitter material? Currently, I have an emissive layer applied, if that's what you mean.

Comment

I haven't seen the emissive material layer. Maybe it helps to remove the generic material layer. But you are right, it should work with your setup. Maybe it's an unsupported GPU feature. Are you using GPU? Is the shadow visible at both modes?

What kind of light source you use? The shadow feature doesn't work for GI environments, but your sharp shadow doesn't look like a simple environment. If it is a simple env map than it could help to use a dome light since this creates raytraced shadows.

Comment

Not sure if this will address part or any of the problem, but maybe you need to turn off visible in reflections as well? I've def had issues controlling shadows from HDRIs, can be glitchy.

Micha's reply is probably a good clue. Always had issues with this feature with HDRI environments.

Comment

I am using a dome light with an hdri. I usually use CPU, but the shadow is visible in both modes. After testing, I was unable to turn off reflections/retractions as well. The only setting that I was able to toggle was "visible to camera".

Super strange! Thabks for the replies, at least I know it's an error and pro ably not something in my end. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the same end result? I could always photoshop it in, but I want the lighting and angles to be as consistent as possible.

Comment

You could upload a simplified version of your scene here and we users or the team looks at it.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

For some reason, I cannot upload the model directly. But here is a download link:
                https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cbmgw33ba...0File.3dm?dl=0
                Attached Files

Comment

I tested it and the shadow option works here. But I needed to add own textures to the scene. If you use the V-Ray pack project function than I should get the same like you.

What I have seen is that the surface is still visible at the reflections, also if I disable all visibility options. If use the environment instead the dome light than it works. This loos like a bug. But at your test I see a sharp shadow - I'm curious to test the packed file.

Comment

Oops! Here is the packed file:
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ssmfp7v1q...acked.zip?dl=0

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Looks like a bug or several bugs, since there are different unexpected results for shadow and reflection. Also setting the object 100% transparent doesn't help.

Workarounds for your current project could be:

* only "visibility for camera" enabled works, maybe it's ok for you that the background image isn't visible at reflections
                      * don't use a dome light, use your HDRI at the environment options and add a dir light as sun light

I write a bug report and linked to this thread. It's case # 313-378-7766.

Comment

If I understand the problem, There is a really easy solution:

use an Override material, put your View 2 material as base material, and for all the other slots put a generic material with opacity 0....

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1533
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1078915

Name:	image_58592.jpg
Views:	1609
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1078914

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Grigio18; 24-07-2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

That worked! Thank you everyone for your help.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello everyone,

Excuse me for the delayed response.

We have to pay attention that the material assigned to the Plane and the Box is Steel_Blurry. It’s very important to notice it because here we’re talking about Reflection, not Shadows.

First, I tested the provided scene with a basic Diffuse material assigned to the objects (the Plane & the Box).

You could see the test phases:
                            1. With a hidden Background plane (the kind of missing impact you want to achieve on the Box) - set with A for the end comparison
                            2. Using Diffuse material for the Plane and the Box (all shadows available)
                            3. Using Diffuse material with Cast Shadows unchecked (the shadows here are from the Box only)
                            4. Using the Steel_Blurry material (your main test till now)
                            5. Using the Steel_Blurry material (only Visible to Camera is checked from the Raytrace Properties of the View 2 material) - set with B for the end comparison
                            6. The final A | B comparison - the answer

Name:	2020-07-30_13-00-24.gif
Views:	1660
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	1079520

So, if you have a non-reflective ground plane unchecking the Cast Shadows checkbox would be enough.

Thank you very much for the activity Micha & Grigio18 & tyler_napolitano!

P.S.: Micha, I’m handling the case you opened. Thank you for the devotion!

Attached Files
                            Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
                            3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Working...
                            X