V-Ray 5 Update 1 keeps crashing Rhino 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray 5 Update 1 keeps crashing Rhino 7

I downloaded the V-Ray 5 Update 1 and installed it today. Since doing so I can no longer render anything without my computer instantly crashing. Is anyone else experiencing the same issues? All of my files in question were rendering fine before the update.

Hi PixelPerson81 - sorry to hear you are experiencing such issues
    • Can you confirm if the crash is happening when you hit the Render button?
    • Does the crash occur in a completely new (empty) project file?
    • Have you tried uninstalling and removing any leftover files, then making a clean installation?
    • Are you using any additional third-party plugins, and could you try disabling them to see if the issue persists?

Would it be possible to provide us with the crash dump files? You can forward them through our contact form, make sure to mention this thread in the email. If no dump file is generated, we can schedule a remote session to investigate this on the spot.

Any additional information regarding your OS, CPU, GPU/GPU driver version will be of great help.
    Last edited by nikoleta.garkova; 24-02-2021, 12:03 AM.
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by PixelPerson81 View Post
      Is anyone else experiencing the same issues?
      It works fine here. I use GPU rendering and driver 461.09. Also Rhino 7 was updated today.

www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

I have the same problem and I must close the project today!!

Here below my anwer to nikoleta.garkova questions list:
        • Can you confirm if the crash is happening when you hit the Render button? YES (Rhino crashing before to open VFB)
        • Does the crash occur in a completely new (empty) project file? It seems work fine
        • Have you tried uninstalling and removing any leftover files, then making a clean installation? Yes, I reinstalled Rhino V7 and then Vray 5 Update 1, issue remain.
        • Are you using any additional third-party plugins, and could you try disabling them to see if the issue persists? YES (Climatestudio), I disabled the plugging but issue remain.
        No crush dump file is available.

Comment

giobuttu You could try to reset the global V-Ray options and start a rendering. Maybe something is wrong there. Also you could hide the complete scene, create something simple like a box and press the render button. So, you could test - is it the setup or objects/materials?

Comment

Originally posted by Micha View Post
            giobuttu You could try to reset the global V-Ray options and start a rendering. Maybe something is wrong there. Also you could hide the complete scene, create something simple like a box and press the render button. So, you could test - is it the setup or objects/materials?
            I completed the test as you suggest. The problem is caused by a material with texture made inside Rhino (properly visualized int he model) and not with Vray UI. Now Vray works fine.

Many thanks for your help.
            Last edited by giobuttu; 25-02-2021, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the update, giobuttu - happy to hear everything is working fine! Would it be possible to get in touch with us through our contact form and still forward the material in question so we can test?
              Last edited by nikoleta.garkova; 25-02-2021, 05:50 AM.
              Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

giobuttu Could be useful if you send a simplified Rhino file with the crash material to support@.... so we can hope to don't see the crash again.

Comment

I'm still having the same issues.
                  • Can you confirm if the crash is happening when you hit the Render button? YES
                  • Does the crash occur in a completely new (empty) project file? NO
                  • Have you tried uninstalling and removing any leftover files, then making a clean installation? YES
                  • Are you using any additional third-party plugins, and could you try disabling them to see if the issue persists? THEY ARE DISABLED

Would it be possible to provide us with the crash dump files? You can forward them through our contact form, make sure to mention this thread in the email. If no dump file is generated, we can schedule a remote session to investigate this on the spot.

No crash file dump files are available.

Nikoleta.Dimitrova how do you "reset the global V-Ray options" exactly? giobuttu How did you find the material and question? Was it a complex seen you were doing?

Comment

Hi PixelPerson81,

Are you rendering with the CPU engine or using CUDA/RTX (GPU)?
                    In any case I suspect that there is a specific scene material or effect causing the crash.
                    Can you share the project for testing on our side?

Regards,
                    Konstantin

Comment

Hello konstantin_chaos

Thank you for the response.

​​​​​​​Are you rendering with the CPU engine or using CUDA/RTX (GPU)? CPU
                      In any case I suspect that there is a specific scene material or effect causing the crash.
                      Can you share the project for testing on our side? It is a very large file. How can I send it to you privately?

Comment

You can use a file-sharing service of your choice and send me the link in a personal message.
                        Thank you in advance.

Comment

konstantin_chaos Which email can I send the link to the files to?

Comment

I’m having similar issues, computer is freezing after pressing start production render button VFB or asset editor, RTX rendering.
                            Sometimes the VFB is minimized and I render from asset editor, when the VFB opens, it's transparent & then a freeze.
                            These freezes are random, of course. Fine for 2-3 weeks, then a freeze or 2 in a row. Larger files, small files, all materials created in Vray (I don't switch from Rhino material to Vray, or If model was created in Sketchup I remodel in Rhino & make all new materials in Vray).
                            Only way out of freeze is to press computer restart button.
                            Seems to have started in the time I switched to R7 & V5 from Sketchup (I don’t use Sketchup anymore on a daily basis so I don’t know if there are issues there as well).
                            No freezes so far today, before yesterdays freeze I was opening (1 at a time) a couple different Rhino files and copy/paste items from one to another, then rendering and it frooze.
                            Yesterday before freeze Rhino, Vray & MS Word only running programs
                            NDA doesn't allow me to send files.
                            I have an older 2013 monitor using DVI, with an EVGA supplied convertor dongle to HDMI plug, then into back or RTX2070 EVGA XC Ultra.
                            Would it be worth removing the dongle & plug into motherboard graphics port so RTX2070 is only for rendering?
                            no heat issues, SFC scannow is clean, Passes Intel XTU CPU& Memory stress test.
                            Glenn
                            8700K Z370, (2) Samsung 850 Pro (smart data is healthy)
                            Vray 5.10.01
                            Rhino 7 SR3 2021-2-22 (Rhino 7, 7.3.21053.23031, Git hash:master @ f8a40388712d9cf7edc68910e0415427bdefc64a)
                            License type: Commercial, build 2021-02-22
                            License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
                            Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 2-23-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.72
                            > Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
                            - Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
                            Safe mode: Off
                            Use accelerated hardware modes: On
                            Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
                            Mip Map Filtering: Linear
                            Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
                            Render version: 4.6
                            Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
                            Driver Date: 2-23-2021
                            Driver Version: 27.21.14.6172
                            Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
                            Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
                            Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
                            Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
                            C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.3.21053.23031
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.3.21053.23031
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.3.21053.23031
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.3.21053.23031
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.3.21053.23031
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
                            C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

Comment

glennco Sounds like we are having similar issues. I've noticed some other threads regarding the same thing. It seems as though every time there is a new VRay update now there are issues.

konstantin_chaos I sent you a Dropbox link as a separate message on the forum. There are two files that crash every time I try to do a rendering now. They were working fine before the latest update. I'm working on a tight deadline for work so if you do get a chance to look at them and are able to provide me with a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Comment

Working...
                              X