Vray Rhino - Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Rhino - Problems

I hope you can help. Since I installed Vray Rhino Update 1, I've had various new problems I'm having trouble solving.

Background: I'm using Rhino 7 and the most recent Nvidia driver release. My file includes several blocks. The Parts Blocks (windows, doors, etc) are inserted and "referenced" into the Building Block which is a single instance block inserted and set to "reference" in the master campus file.

Problem 1. The window material set in the parts block is set to the stock vray glass yellow gray material. It renders fine in the parts block. it renders fine in the building block. However, it fails as shown when the building block is rendered in the master file. This is a new problem following installation of Update 1.

Problem 2. In the photo, the human figure on the left is, or was, set to the vray fine white paint material. Following the update, that material duplicated itself and inserted the color blue in the diffuse setting. The name of the material did not change other than appending a serial number to it, so it still reads 'fine white paint'. In some cases duplicates occurred, but retained their original diffuse assignment. I've found as many as ten duplicates of a material. Not all duplicates display in the vray asset editor nor do all duplicates appear to display in the rhino materials tab. In rhino materials tab some are attributed to a "custom" source and some to vray.

Problem 3. In the asset editor i have the SKY environment linked to the rhino sun. After the update, at times, the sky appears black. Changing time of day or deleting and reinstalling the SKY does not resolve the problem.

Problem 4 (minor, personal preference). Vray has been designing some user interface switches to passive rather than clear and active switches. For example, the color clamping switch (on my computer) is almost black on black and very difficult to read. Also, personally I'd rather it provide feedback that it is on or off instead of being darkened or lightened, which until you memorize the status has a 50:50 change of being on or off. Similarly, in the batch processing window, to acquire snapshots one must know to right or left click on the empty top row to obtain access to the snapshots. I encourage positive feedback in the interface and not so much reliance on memorization (I'm getting old).

Thanks, I've spend hours trying to sort this out. It's probably my error, but help would be greatly appreciated.
    Jeff
    Attached Files

Hi Ibear888

Thanks for the detailed explanation and feedback.

Regarding to the issues you are experiencing with the project - best would be to reach us through our contact form so we can have a look and troubleshoot. Please make sure to pack all assets together and forward us all necessary files. You can use the Pack Project tool in V-Ray > Pack Project.

The things outlined in point 4. are noted and will be discussed if further improvements can be done on the matter.
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Follow up... In my situation, this problem appears related to blocks and perhaps to Vray assets assigned to rhino object layers, instead of to individual objects. To correct the problem, I've had to go to each block, change layer materials to default, delete the auto duplicated vray file where they occurred or delete the vray material where the Update incorrectly replaced the diffuse bitmap or color, and then reassign the vray material to the object by using vray assign to selection, instead of using the rhino materials tab. In the top level model, which includes the blocks, I deleted all the corrupted vray material files, such as where vray swapped the color red for the bronze color in the material metallic bronze dark.

Other issues. After working for an hour or so, the rhino layers panel begins to flicker and the vray buffer ceases to display. This is temporarily cured by closing rhino and vray and reopening the file. Memory use is about 15,000 and I have 32,000 in the machine. The machine contains two 1080ti graphics cards. Prior to Update 1, this was not an issue.

I may be off the mark, but I believe when installing the Update, vray or rhino errors when handling multi-level blocks, meaning blocks within blocks. At the top level, I "think" rhino or vray sees a conflict or missing data and compensates by auto creating a new material that swaps out the existing (correct) bitmap for the object's default layer color. I also found errors when trying to use the vray Replacement commands on rhino groups. I corrected the problem by ungrouping, undoing materials assignments, then regrouping or changing it from a group to a block.

I contacted Nikoleta, above, but the contact form does not enable submission of a large model.

Thanks, Jeff
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Please note that you can use any file-sharing platform of your liking and just forward us the download link.
        Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Working...
        X