Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gobo GPU

Hello,

Has there been any progress on GPU gobo since I spoke with Peter on 3/25/2019 (at that time Vray next Sketchup)?

Currently, Spot light with texture doesn't work with CUDA GPU&CPU.

I only have an 8700K so CPU rendering isn't really an option anymore, since render times are so long.

Thanks,

Glenn

Vray 5.10.03

Rhino 7 SR8 2021-7-15

Windows 10.0.19043 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

RTX 2070

Driver date: 6-21-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL

Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 471.11

EDIT
    Ok, I tried a rectangle light with directionality of 1 (per Peter), that doesn't look very good.

Then I tried directionality of .998 & adjusted the intensity, it's useable.
    Last edited by glennco; 20-07-2021, 05:03 PM.

Hi glennco,

Happy to hear you've found a way for it to work. Other than that, Spot Light's Texture map, Affect Diffuse and Specular controls and Inverse cube decay are not yet supported on GPU, I'm afraid. You can refer to this thread as well. I'll bump the internal ticket additionally, thanks!
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

nikoleta.garkova
      Thanks for the reply.
      I'm disappointed to hear that in over 2 years Chaos has not addressed this issue. Searching on this forum, I am not the only user who would like this feature to work with GPU as it does with CPU.
      Do you remember the past few months all the times we communicated about RTX crashes?
      Well, I stopped using RTX and the crashes stopped.
      I'm using CUDA with CPU. There are crashes, but significantly less than with RTX. Maybe once every 2 weeks or so. Same files, same work flow.
      Perhaps I have misunderstood, it appears to me that Chaos is promoting GPU as production ready when it is clearly not.
      Also from my point of view, all the time, money & effort Chaos is putting into Vantage, Cosmos, & Vray light gen, (none of which I use) could be better spent making the core render engine stable and production ready.
      Glenn

Comment

Hi glennco.

1. Providing support for texture maps with Spot lights is in development and we've added a fix for it internally, so I hope it will be out soon with a future update. That being said, please keep in mind that some things are not as trivial to implement in GPU which is why they are taking more time and resources.

Also from my point of view, all the time, money & effort Chaos is putting into Vantage, Cosmos, & Vray light gen, (none of which I use) could be better spent making the core render engine stable and production ready.
        I would beg to differ here, as we are definitely not prioritizing any new product or feature to the detriment of GPU development. We have a dedicated GPU team working regardless of other such features. As mentioned, there are things trickier to implement in GPU than in CPU, and providing specific details and scenes is crucial for troubleshooting. I do remember we've had a discussion about system hangs randomly occurring, which, unfortunately, was not sufficient to determine the cause. V-Ray should not, in any case, be the reason for such freezes. On a separate thread about RTX crashes, we did not receive any project files to test.

Perhaps I have misunderstood, it appears to me that Chaos is promoting GPU as production ready when it is clearly not.
        Giving us feedback on what seems to fail in production-readiness with V-Ray GPU would be greatly appreciated. The development of CPU and GPU is done simultaneously over the years, and we support most (not all, of course) features on both engines. Any crashes should be investigated individually and in detail so that we're able to provide a fix.

As mentioned in the past, we're always open for making a call or a remote session so we can try and troubleshoot on the spot.

Comment

nikoleta.garkova

Thank you for the reply.
          Perhaps you can clarify why switching to CUDA GPU/CPU is more stable than RTX, using the same Rhino/Vray files?
          I had typed lengthy replies to your comments, then realized we are going in circles and I need to get back to work.
          I'll continue using CUDA GPU/CPU and sometime in the future try RTX again.
          Glenn

Comment

Perhaps you can clarify why switching to CUDA GPU/CPU is more stable than RTX
            I can't, until we get a scene to test

Comment

Working...
            X