Material Preview is not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Preview is not working

My material preview won't update any changes and do not render any new materials
    This is what the V-Ray log window said:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-11-06 23_25_21-Window.png
Views:	308
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1129615

After what I see in the 3ds max update, I had a lot of hope for this new update and was very excited, but they're so many issues on it. That I'm a little frustrated. I have a team of 7 people that use V-Ray and I will keep them in V-Ray 5.1 until I feel confident with this update
    I also have a lot of cratches with old scenes (V-Ray 5.1 scenes)

By the way, I tried to do a clean install and I even got an error on the un-installation process. How is this possible?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-11-06 23_37_19-Window.png Views:	0 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	1129617

Comment

Hi javierrentas,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having such issues.

My material preview won't update any changes and do not render any new materials
      This is something that we unfortunately can't reproduce here.
      Are you willing to schedule a remote session with one of the developers for further investigation.
      If yes, please send me a direct message and we'll make it happen as soon as possible.

... , but they're so many issues on it.
      Are there any other issues besides the ones you've mentioned here?

I also have a lot of cratches with old scenes (V-Ray 5.1 scenes)
      Is it possible for you to share any of the scenes that are crashing for you?

By the way, I tried to do a clean install and I even got an error on the un-installation process. How is this possible?
      Can you share the log details from the uninstall process?
      This will help us determine what's going on.
      As a workaround you can basically delete the V-ray for Rhino folder manually after uninstalling.

I hope we'll be able to resolve all issues quickly and one again excuse us for the inconvenience.

Regards,
      Konstantin

Comment

Hi Kotse
        After I re-installed V-Ray the materials preview issue is better now. I just have some wrong results when working with SSS and Volumetric mode, that I reported in another post.
        I still have the crash with old scenes, but unfortunately, my company does not allow me to share any data. I will investigate a little bit more and see if I could get the crash with a non-company scene.
        Uninstall log attached.

Thank you for your support!
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

The SSS and Volumetric material issue is known and is in Core (logged as VRW-3260).
          Materials using the new translucency modes sometimes fail to update during interactive rendering.

I still have the crash with old scenes, but unfortunately, my company does not allow me to share any data. I will investigate a little bit more and see if I could get the crash with a non-company scene.
          That would be awesome.
          The issue is often times caused by a single material or object so you can try and isolate it if possible.
          If nothing else works we can sign an NDA to be able to get a the scene. This would not be a problem.

And thanks for the log!

Konstantin

Comment

Hi,

if you have the rhino crash window popup, that would be more helpful than a scene data. I just need the .dmp file link.and I can take a look

Comment

Hi Nikolay
              Here is the .dmp file.
              This scene renders ok with V-Ray 5.1 and it crashes after the LC pass in V-Ray 5.2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oax...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by javierrentas View Post
                There are two reasons for that message -
                1) A file from the folder failed to be deleted -> hence the folder
                2) The folder is empty, but it was locked by some other process.

Both 1) and 2) may happen without obvious reason - f.e. Windows Explorer is indexing a file from the folder. Or your anti-virus is currently scanning it. or there is a delay-file-write/delay-file-delete operation that hasn't complete.
                Most of the reasons are beyond our or user's control, although you can manually lock the folder as well, just open a powershell session from there - voila.

It is absolutely safe to ignore the message and then either delete the folder manually, or leave it like that. If you run the installer afterwards the folder will be purged anyway

Either way - sending us the full uninstall log would be helpful

Comment

Great! Thank you for the info!

Comment

Hi javierrentas

Do you by any chance have a Cryptomatte render element and denoiser enabled in that crashing render ?

Comment

No, I do not have Cryptomatte enabled. I do have denoiser enabled. Today I just had another crash in one of my old scenes (5.1) I have to make some changes and it is a rush project and I will have to revert back to V-Ray 5.1
                      Unfortunately, I will not be able to use V-Ray 5.2 until it gets more stable. However, I love the new decal option, the SSS, the sharp option in the VFB, etc.
                      You guys did a great job putting all these features together in this short timeframe, but the crashing on the old scene I have, prevented me to use it.

Comment

Sorry, I double-check and yes, I have Cryotomatte and Denoiser enabled

Comment

I removed the Cryptomatte element and now I have another kind of issue. Rhino is not crashing completely, but I have the following issue:
                          Of course , I have to manually kill Rhino

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-11-09 10_57_42-V-Ray Log Window.png
Views:	184
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	1130030

Comment

One more updated,
                            I removed all the elements I was using and now nothing crashes.
                            I was using:
                            Extra Texture
                            Light Mix
                            Z-Depth
                            Cryptomatte
                            Material Random color

Comment

I added the elements back one by one and click render. Everything was good so far, but when I added the Cryptomatte element (was the last element added) Rhino crashed again.
                              So, I guess the issue is the Cryptomatte element.

Comment

Working...
                              X