Bug: Soft shadow of dir light not working in GPU mode anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug: Soft shadow of dir light not working in GPU mode anymore

.. in BF and LC mode. Please try to build a quick fix release, since it's an essential feature. I use the dir light daily.

-Micha

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 11-21-21 at 07.37 PM.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	1131366
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Hi Micha,

Thanks for the pointer. This is now logged under VRW-3486 for developer investigation.
    We'll let you know as soon as we have some input on the matter.
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

I hoped it's a little bug only and quick fixed, since it's an essential feature ... but it's not fixed at the current update. Please don't forget them.

Comment

Originally posted by Micha View Post
        I hoped it's a little bug only and quick fixed, since it's an essential feature ... but it's not fixed at the current update. Please don't forget them.
        Yes, the bug remains and is quite serious.
        Thanks for the reminder!
        I'll raise its priority.

Comment

konstantin_chaos The last update doesn't fixed it again.

Today I found that the shadow softness isn't complete out of order, it seems to be a scene unit related problem. If I use 'meters' and set a very high shadow radius than I get a blur effect. But if I use centimeter or millimeter than I can't raise the slider high enough, since 10 is the limit. Please, allow to set a higher radius values as a workaround until the bug is fixed. Better a soft shadow by radius 1000 than no soft shadow.

Comment

One of the problems is a rotational matrix normalization. Having bigger units tend to make the rotational matrix "look" more normalized. You basically hit an edge case for which it kind of works, but that's not the whole thing

Comment

Still hoping a fix will come soon. My old scenes doesn't work anymore.

Comment

This is what's currently in the dev branch (so it has been fixed and will be available soon):

Click image for larger version  Name:	shadow_radius.png Views:	0 Size:	226.4 KB ID:	1140190

You have a simple workaround in 5.20.04, although a bit cumbersome
                Place the position of your directional light at a distance of 1 unit from its target - this has a side effect of producing normalized matrix. It is not pretty, but will work for the most part

Click image for larger version  Name:	shadow_radius_52004.png Views:	0 Size:	318.6 KB ID:	1140191

Comment

I did a quick test and the workaround works.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Please don't modify your original scenes for good, we will be having this released soon.

Comment

Hi Micha,

This issue is fixed in the latest update - link.

Konstantin

Comment

Working...
                      X