Qt crash on export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt crash on export

When I try to export files in Rhino with the VRay plugin active, even if I am not actively rendering anything, it gives me a Qt error and crashes the entire program.
    Occasionally it will also crash when I try to save a render, however this is more sporadic.
    Help?

Hi,

Could you please send us the Rhino dump file when the program crashes again?
    After the crash, the dump file should be generated on the desktop.
    If the file is too large you can upload it with a request below. Please just copy this forum post in the request.
    Last edited by slavcho.brusev; 01-12-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slavcho.brusev View Post
      Hi,

Could you please send us the Rhino dump file when the program crashes again?
      After the crash, the dump file should be generated on the desktop.
      If the file is too large you can upload it with a request below. Please just copy this forum post in the request.
      I've had this occur probably 50-60 times, but almost never get a dump file - just the error message.
      I did get a dump once and saved it, but hard to guarantee it's the same issue since it doesn't usually generate.

With that disclaimer, here is the dump file I got:

System::AppDomain::CurrentDomain->UnhandledException event occured

SENDER: Name: DefaultDomain
      There are no context policies.

EXCEPTION: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
      SOURCE: RhinoCommon
      CALL STACK
      at UnsafeNativeMethods.CRhCmnUserData_Delete(IntPtr pUserData, Boolean only_if_no_parent)
      at Rhino.DocObjects.Custom.UserData.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
      at Rhino.DocObjects.Custom.UserData.Finalize()

Comment

Can you recall when this message first appeared? Has V-Ray worked before without this message, has anything specific happened when this message started appearing(software update, installing another plugin, host app update, etc.)?
        Have you tried reinstalling Rhino and V-Ray?

Comment

October 18th is the first time I have record of it happening, though it could have started a day or two before.
          Prior to that, VRay has worked fine for a couple of years.
          I have a few other 3rd party plugins, though none would have been new at the time. I have tried turning each of them off one at a time and VRay appears to be the one creating the issue (also one of the only ones that uses Qt).
          I want to say VRay did have an update around that time? Couldn't swear to it. I try to keep Rhino 7 and Vray both up to date.

I have not re-installed Rhino, I have re-installed VRay. I did this through the Device Manager, uninstalled, and then downloaded the latest version fresh from the Chaos portal. Not sure if there is a better way to do it, if that could have left anything behind?

Comment

Is this appearing only when you export a file or does it appear on other options as well(like save as, import, save image)? When exactly the message appears(when the export window is opened or when selecting the place where the file needs to be saved).
            I guess(but I am not sure) that there is a conflict with another application that uses another version QT, we "just" need to find. The Rhino dump file can help us here a lot. Next time the message appears, try to crash the program so it can generate a dump file on the desktop. Most likely it will be a huge file so use the "request" link below to upload it.
            https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new (pls include a link to the forum thread)

One more suggestion from a colleague - make sure you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 -2019 Redistributable installed. If you have it right-click on it and select repair.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Redist.JPG Views:	0 Size:	8.2 KB ID:	1132715
            Last edited by slavcho.brusev; 02-12-2021, 11:16 PM.

Comment

If I go to export a file, the window comes up and I can successfully export as 3DM; but selecting STL will cause the error to occur.
              The import window also comes up, but causes a crash. I can import occasionally, but it seems like picking a new spot to import from may be the culprit. It has been harder to pinpoint.

Save As seems to work fine, and Open works fine.

I just opened a new file, made a sphere, exported as an STL, and when the error message popped up I went back to the command line and used the _TestCrash command to generate a dump file. I don't know if this will work or not since I had to prompt it, and it's a tiny file, but I'll go ahead and send.

Saving an image works most of the time, but I have had a few issues where I will render, the image renders fine, and then I hit save and it crashes. (I typically save 20+ renders a day, and have had this happen maybe four or five times, so not common, but has happened).

I did have the 14.29.30135 Redistributable installed - I repaired it just in case, and will restart as soon as I post this.

Comment

Hi,

I received your file and checked it.
                Unfortunately the Rhino crash.3dm file does not contain the needed information.
                Would it be possible for you to send a .dmp file? If the file does not generate automatically you can force it to generate a .dmp file through the Task Manager(Right-click on the process and select generate dump file).

Comment

Edit: Spoke too soon. Dump file incoming.
                  Last edited by Jakazul; 10-12-2021, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Our Dev team found the issue. The crash is caused by conflicting versions of Qt. A program installed on your machine(it is not a Rhino plugin) called Chitubox uses a different version than the one V-Ray is using. It installs a global handler responsible for drawing thumbnails. This handler is loaded when the "Save as" window is opened in Rhino.

This can be resolved by unregistering the handler by the following steps:

- Close Rhino and Chitubox
                    - Open CMD as Admin and paste the following

Code:
                    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\ChiTuBox64 1.9.0\CHITUBOX_Thumbnail.dll"
                    After that, you should be able to use Rhino and V-Ray without the crash.

Another option is to uninstall the app.

Thank you for reporting this! Our developers have contacted Chitubox and informed them about this.
                    Last edited by slavcho.brusev; 13-12-2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much!
                      That makes perfect sense. I have taken these steps and will test for the next few days, but I suspect that will fix it.
                      Thanks again.

Jake

Comment

Hi,

We got information from Chitubox that this might get resolved in the next update.
                        So I guess when the update rolls our just upgrade and the issue will be resolved.

Comment

Working...
                        X