Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid projection for procedural textures

Hello,
    I used Modo for rendering. There is a projection-type for the procedural TEXTURES named "Solid projection", very useful to me. There is something similar in Vray (no triplanar map), maybe only for some procedural textures?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture solid projection.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1133483Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Vray  projection.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1133484

Hi lopez67,

Some of the V-Ray procedural textures have three-dimensional coordinates and can be used in the described way.
    Here's the textures that do support 3D placement:

Name:	3d textures.png
Views:	261
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	1133883

You can use each one of those and change the Texture Placement Type to 3D.

Hope that helps,
    Konstantin

Comment

Interesting. Could the material get a special mark, maybe (3D)?
      www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Originally posted by Micha View Post
        Interesting. Could the material get a special mark, maybe (3D)?
        You have a point here.
        We should indicate that these are 3D textures somehow - I'll log it.

Konstantin

Comment

This is great!
          To me, procedural textures and OSL textures are the future. With Substance or other similar software you can create your procedural material but then you need to bounce it to create 2d maps, so you need again texture them to apply to 3d objects as a regular 2d map. This is the past to me. With 3d procedural textures and osl, inside the rendering software, you don't need to map the 2d textures on the 3d object. The importance and utility of this are incredible.
          Roy

Comment

Anyway, the only ones that works here are the two noise, the cellular and the smoke....the others don't work with the 3d world texture placement...

Comment

Hi,

You might have to change the texture Repeat parameter depending on your scene:

Name:	3d procedural.png
Views:	241
Size:	538.7 KB
ID:	1134368

Konstantin

Comment

Hi Constantin,
                I'm desperately trying to create some realistic material in Vray for grasshopper bypassing the issue of UV mapping limitation. I'm trying now to use procedural textures, but if I scale non uniformly the projection, the texture doesn't follow the shape of creation (in this case some sweep along a rail). Any help?
                Thanks,
                Roy Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture UV mapping from grasshopper.PNG
Views:	169
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	1142641

Comment

Hi Konstantin

Just a fast question what is the difference using 3d map ( object space) and 3d map ( world space).?

Thanks in advance

Nice question López67

Comment

Any news?
                    thanks in advance

Comment

Hi lopez67

I think the easiest thing here is to use a plugin for mapping. This will help in other instances as well.

Hi luisgamino2
                      Please check here https://docs.chaos.com/display/VRHIN...xturePlacement
                      There is additional info there that might help with other settings for placement

Comment

hmm...this was the only reply I was hoping not to receive...lol
                        do you have a suggestion for the plugin? do you think will you develop it as a command inside vray for grasshopper?
                        and anyway, the question is still the same: what's the difference between 3d object projection and 3d world projection? the manual doesn't answer it. why is the image I've posted above the projection doesn't follow the object if I'm using 3d object projection?
                        Vray for grasshopper is very underestimated and not much used until now but the future in my opinion. Impossible to stop grasshopper for architecture, lol.
                        Anyway, thanks,
                        Roy

Comment

I didnt find any kind of information slavcho

I asked what is the difference using 3d map local space vs 3d map world space.

What do You mean with this in vray... what is local space and what is world space???

In the Docs. Chaos didnt explain anything about it

Comment

Hi guys,

As for the screenshot posted by lopez67:
                            The 3D mapping you see is exactly what I'd expect.
                            There is no guarantee that the texture will be distorted in the direction you want.
                            The distortion is based on each object's local transformation.

I didnt find any kind of information slavcho
                            I asked what is the difference using 3d map local space vs 3d map world space.
                            What do You mean with this in vray... what is local space and what is world space???
                            In the Docs. Chaos didnt explain anything about it
                            Object space means that the 3D texture is going to be calculated in the local transformation space of each object.
                            This means that if you have mapped a cube and you later rotate and translate it, the texture will not change. It'll stick to the cube.
                            The World space mode will place the texture in global space meaning it will not stick to objects when they get transformed.
                            When you move objects around in this mode it will appear as if they are floating trough the three-dimentional texture.

Hope that makes sense,
                            Konstantin

Comment

konstantin_chaos Unfortunatly the Object Space isn't supported at Rhino, only we get World Space always. Is there a chance to get the Object Space working?

Workaround: tested and found – the object space works for objects within Rhino blocks.
                              www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Working...
                              X