Rhino Hanging at "Import Scaling" Step During Batch Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino Hanging at "Import Scaling" Step During Batch Rendering

Hey guys, in the most recent release of V-Ray's Release Notes, an issue was addressed that was causing Rhino to hang with V-Ray installed and active during certain commands. This is the line from the Release Notes: "Rhino no longer hangs after using specific Rhino commands while V-Ray is installed and active. The commands that were causing this issue are - Intersect, IntersectTwoSets and Contour".

Rhino is still hanging during certain commands. In particular, when a new file is being imported, I'm seeing Rhino hang at the "Import Scaling" step. We have batch rendering scripts that loops through a folder of CAD files and imports one at a time into a rendering studio. The scripts clear out the old geometry before importing the next for rendering. We're seeing Rhino hang when trying to import new files only after V-Ray has been activated. If we don't open the V-Ray Asset Editor when opening up a fresh rendering studio to batch render in, then all the files import and render correctly but if we activate the Asset Editor even just once to make a change such as the GPU being used to render, V-Ray will inevitable cause Rhino to hang at the "Import Scaling" step when importing a new file into Rhino to render.

I should also add that this doesn't always happen immediately. Sometimes our scripts will successfully render the first file or two before the third one being imported causes Rhino to hang. Other times it hangs on the very first file. So when trying to reproduce, make sure you try importing a new file into the same studio a number of times after V-Ray's Asset Editor has been activated.

Comment

That is interesting, the fix mentioned in the release notes is about commands that emit events off the main Rhino thread. I don't thing "Import" is one of them, but I'll certailnly check it out. If you could share your import script or a pseudo-code version of it would be helpful, alongside simple model that I can reproduce the issue with
      Meanwhile are you certain there aren't any dialogs or message windows that appear and get to the background ? For example in the last version we added one such dialog that shows up when a corrupted model is being opened.
      Mind that dialogs and messages may appear even if you run your coomand in non-interactive mode. This is because certain events in Rhino gets emitted after the command is over and there is no command context to get the interactivity mode from.
      Last edited by nikolay.bakalov; 29-12-2021, 12:36 AM.

Comment

nikolay.bakalov there's definitely no dialogs. I've looked and haven't found any. Also, I don't think it's the import command itself that is sometimes eventually causing Rhino to hang. I'll have to debug a bit more and see if I can pinpoint the issue. I created a new script and pulled in just the necessary functions from our library to create an example for you but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue using that stripped down script yet so there must be something else somewhere in our main scripts that might be triggering the hang. It's just odd that it only happens after V-Ray has been activated. I can also confirm there aren't any corrupted models or dialogs that I'm missing. Our scripts have always worked flawlessly in these batch renders prior to the last few releases of V-Ray.

I recorded my screen while triggering a batch render via our scripts to demonstrate the hanging (https://www.dropbox.com/s/34x864js2l...47-43.mp4?dl=0). The first handful of files render just fine but it eventually hangs at 8 minutes and 45 seconds in. I had stepped away from the machine for a bit so it stays hung until I return to kill Rhino towards the end of the video. I know this doesn't provide you with any sample code yet but it will at least give you a vague idea on some of the different viewport and geometry adjustments we make programmatically during the rendering process of these files and maybe you can think of something that may potentially be triggering the eventual hang. Again, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue yet with the new stripped down script I put together to share with you so I need to continue debugging a bit more to see if I can pinpoint the issue further.

Comment

Working...
        X