Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnected Materials?

Hi,

I sent a scene to my client for changing scene elements. Today I got the Rhino file back and I got a message of Disconnected Materials. I tried both ways but both makes not happy. Could it be possible to get the materials without the name addition "_recovered" and connected to the objects? It looks like all information are available at the file but not used like expected.

Best regards,
    Micha
    Attached Files
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

I have seen now the right named materials exist before the DM-procedure starts, but I can't stop the process and keep the material names - delete and rename are not needed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Micha; 11-01-2022, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Hi Micha,

The disconnected materials can't be recovered properly.
      Even if we keep their names you'll end up with a buggy scene.
      Applying them to the objects will cause self-duplication.

This whole thing was caused by the fact that changes have been made to the materials without V-Ray being present - the type has been changed most probably.
      When such an action is performed, what we need to do is delete the V-Ray data.
      We however decided to give you the option to keep the V-Ray data but rename it to avoid buggy self-duplicating shaders to be present in the project.

What do you suggest we do instead?

Konstantin

Comment

Hi Konstantin,

I better understand now. My client edited the Rhino options of the materials and I will tell him he shouldn't do it anymore. He should arrange the scene only.

So far I have seen the V-Ray materials are available at the file and the names of the objects can be recovered too. I would prefer to get the a connection between both and the Rhino materials with the changes could be removed. So, a third option could be "remove self-duplicate Rhino materials and connect back to V-Ray".

General it could be useful, if people without V-Ray edit a scene, than later the final render user can recover the V-Ray setup. Would this be possible?

-Micha

Comment

Hi,

this is in fact what we want to avoid. Upon opening back with V-Ray enabled, we can't reaaly know what have been changed. We assume the type change was intentional, and recovering the V-Ray data may result in a lost work. A top of that "reconnecting" is not really a trivial task.
          That's why we would prefer to not "fix" something that the user did on purpose, based on some asumptions
          ​​
          Last edited by nikolay.bakalov; 14-01-2022, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Hi nikolay.bakalov

I got an idea and found a way to fix the situation with exits tools.

I don't open the modified scene anymore but import it to my original file now. So, the exist original V-Ray materials are reconnected to the modified scene object.

Thank you for the interesting talk which help me to understand the reason and to find a fix.

​​​​​​​-Micha

Comment

I am getting this error message today for a file that was working a few weeks ago and hasn't been touched since the last time. Please look at ticket #21053. Also env paths are destroyed. Looks like a critical bug.

Comment

#21053 is valid for the release from today.

Comment

The same problem happened to me multiple times. And almost all V-ray materials changed to rhino custom materials. I am working alone on the file and always on the same computer. So as the error message says "v-ray materials changed without v-ray loaded" is absolutely not my case. This thing happens quite a lot sometimes even with some projects untouched in my computer. I saw that there are some explanations on how to open files (instead of double click, opening from the interface etc." but none of them worked. When I open a blank Rhino file I see that actually v-ray loads properly. I tried to open my project after this empty project file but no help. The only way to make it work is to change all materials back to v-ray materials but then you lose many parameters. this is a huge bug and still not covered. Imagine that you have huge files with 100+ materials in it and just around a deadline this happens and you have sit and fix all materials maybe for hours. I like v-ray and rhino both but such bugs are not acceptable I have to say.

Comment

Hi,

is this the case with the currently latest version ? We put a lot of effort to find the cause and clear all issues related to this problem, and some were from Rhino itself. I haven't heard about this problem in a while

Comment

Hi, I have Rhino 7 (7.31.23166.15001, 2023-06-15)​ and Rhino 8 WIP. One of my projects in R8 WIP had this. Maybe it is because R8 is still not reliable. As well in version 7 I had but it's been a while. I work with rhino almost everyday and this happens randomly in some files and can't find what is causing it in my case. Hope that at least in version 7 it is solved.

Comment

Dear yusufcankat_donmez, hello.

Please keep in mind also this previously shared information and define the currently installed V-Ray for Rhinoceros version on your configuration(s).
                        It can be easily found from V-Ray > Help > About V-Ray.

Waiting for your answer,
                        TS
                        Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
                        3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Working...
                        X