Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is clipping the dome light needed?

Hi,

today I wonder why I don't got control over the background like I expected and finally I found that clipping planes cut the dome light too. For me the dome light is a kind of render environment and not so much scene light like a light over a table. Would it not be more useful to keep the dome light independent from the clipping plane setup?

I know clipping lights can be disabled at the clipping plane options, but since a dome light is a kind of environment I can't imagine to need it clipped. What do you think? Could it be coded clipping plane safe?

-Micha
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Hello Micha,

You can achieve the desired result by placing HDRI texture in the Environment > Background slot in the V-Ray Asset Editor.
    Let us know if this works for you.
    Last edited by natalia.gruzdova; 25-01-2023, 06:11 AM.
    Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you, yes, this workaround works.

It was more a general question, why should a dome light be clipped, since it is not a light object in the scene, only around the scene? Who needs a clipped environment? I think V-Ray would be more failure proof if the dome light wouldn't be clipped in any case.

Comment

The Dome light is considered the same way as any other light by the Clipper, but I wanted to also add that you can manually exclude it from the Clipping plane Properties.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipper_exclude.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1171287
        Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I run in this issue as I use the "Include" mode to cut selected objects only. To exclude the dome light isn't possible in this case. I think the best solution would be if there would be an option added "don't affects dome lights" and it disabled per default. The user could clip the scene lights, but keep the dome light. Dome lights are environment and not scene. I think it should be on the wish list.

Comment

Working...
          X