Scatter with Linked Rhino Models Crashes Rhino on Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scatter with Linked Rhino Models Crashes Rhino on Opening

I have one base file, with several other files that are linked into it. In one of these files, I have a landscape modeled, with a scatter object applied to it. When I work in the base file to apply chaos cosmos assets to the linked Scatter object, the rendering seems to work as intended in the viewport, and saves correctly. However, when I save and close this base file, and then attempt to open it again, rhino crashes immediately without displaying any more than a black screen.
    I have worked to isolate this problem to linked scatter objects. I could avoid putting the scatter objects and the guest objects in two different linked files if the scatter carried over from the linked file to my base file for rendering purposes, but so far I cannot get this to work either.

Please let me know if you need any more information, clarification or project files to address this problem!
    Crash dump file, file that crashes upon opening, and a previously packed version of another file with the same issue are all at this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link

Hello jacob_bodinger,

Thank you for your report.
    I reproduced the issue upon opening the Base File_Expi.3dm from the archive. I am not able to reproduce it with the VRay Underneath_5.3dm file, probably because the linked blocks are missing. Could you please upload them too?
    Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
    Iva
    Iva Mancheva
    V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Hi Iva,

Thanks for your quick response. I was able to open the VRay Underneath_5.3dm file, so I packed it and uploaded it to the same google drive folder that I used earlier. That should incorporate all the linked files.

Thanks!
      Jacob

Comment

Thank you, jacob_bodinger ,

I managed to reproduce and log the issue. We will let you know if there is any progress on this matter.

Kind regards,
        Iva
        Iva Mancheva
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Hello jacob_bodinger,

The crash will be fixed by our developers. However it is not advised to modify a linked model in the current scene, because it will not work as expected. In your case - when you modify the Scatter Asset from the linked model in the base model, save and reopen the base model, you will have two Scatter assets - the modified one will be part of the base model and will not be attached to a geometry and a second Scatter asset (part of the linked model), which will remain unchanged.

Kind regards,
          Iva
          Iva Mancheva
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
          X