Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate dome light cause linked material

Hi,

if I duplicate (asset editor RMB) a dome light (day HDRI), edit the copy and change the HDRI (night) than the original dome light is changed too. I think they should be independent.

-Micha
    Last edited by Micha; 25-05-2023, 11:00 AM.
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

A duplicated rectangular light is independent, but not at the same place like the original, it's placed at the origin. Please duplicate it at the same place like the original.

Comment

Hello Micha hope you are doing well!

if I duplicate a dome light (day HDRI), edit the copy and change the HDRI (night) than the original dome light is changed too. I think they should be independent.
      It can happen if you have HDRI placed as an Instance in the Color/Texture HDRI slot > Duplicate the Dome Light > and change the file path for HDRI.

Let me know if you do as I have described. In this case you have a map instanced for both Dome Lights. You can just copy a new one in the slot or copy it without instancing in the first place.

Please see the example in the attachment.

A duplicated rectangular light is independent, but not at the same place like the original, it's placed at the origin. Please duplicate it at the same place like the original.
      Any object you duplicate from V-Ray Asset Editor is placed at origin point, because V-Ray does not have information about object position.
      Also what you suggest may lead to some issues and confusion if you have several instances of lets say the same Light in the V-Ray Asset Editor that are already placed in different positions in the scene.

You can use the Rhino command Copy > InPlace and then Make Unique in the properties to ensure that copy is created at the same exact position.
      Attached Files
      Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you natalia.gruzdova for pointing me in the right direction per detailed description. I understand the behavior now.

I have seen now that there are blue marks if a instanced texture is edited. That's nice, but I can be easy overseen since the user is focused to the right UI. I haven't seen it before. Could it be possible to get a blue mark at the right side too? For example the title "Bitmap" with symbol could be blue marked too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	115
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1182609

Comment

Hi Micha,
          I am glad to hear that the information I have shared was useful to you. I will discuss your suggestion with the team. Currently you can check the left panel to see if any of your Bitmaps are instanced in other materials and see which exact materials (judging by the blue arrow).
          Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Common formatting for these types of notifications include Bolded, Italicized text and including and *.

Comment

Working...
            X