Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grasshopper - Material Overide for Proxy Scene Input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grasshopper - Material Overide for Proxy Scene Input?

Is there a material overide in V-ray grasshopper that I'm missing?

I've got a few quite complex files including transparent materials that I'm importing into grasshopper via 'Proxy Scene' files. I'd like to be able to overide the assigned materials with simpler materials for setup. I was hoping to do this in grasshopper without having to create multiple proxy scene files to switch between...

I don't think that is currently possible. Chaos folks: It would be nice to have some Deconstruct nodes for this type of case where we can get the data contained withing the geometry and override it and reconstruct it.

Comment

Hi,

there is .vrscene importer in Rhino, so "deconstruct nodes" is practically there, you just need to reference the resulting geometry in GH.
      ​​​​
      ​​​there is material override feature planned for GH but it is not clear how would it work. Current idea is to be conceptually identical to the material override in the AssetEditor - that means it will be on a scene level, rather than on per-geometry level

Comment

How about a node that allows other geometry inputs, overrides them, then outputs new vray geometry. Like that we could plug both types into the render node.

Comment

I didn't understand what you mean. Can you give a concrete example

Comment

Sure, see screnshot below: The override node would override the metal material with a generic one.

It could be used to override all geometries by plugging them in to the override node, or specific geometries to override.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	97
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1184296​​
            Attached Files
            Last edited by richard_aubin; 21-06-2023, 07:14 PM.

Comment

And how is that different from this one ?
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	1184423

there are already available components for conditional selection. No need to invent new ones​

btw: You don' t need to have the Merge node. In your picture, you can plug the VGeos directly into the renderer

Comment

It's quite simple, your method adds much more complexity to the definition, and doesn't address the Proxy Scene material override that this post is about.

What I suggest keeps VRay Geometry definitions cleaner, places the override after their definition and before the Render node, where it logically happens.

Your method also adds more nodes and many more wire connections.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	102
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	1184492

Comment

nikolay.bakalov https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...58#post1184258

I think a global overide like what we have within Rhino would be a great start if it's at the 'Render' component level (see sketch below) - assuming it also work with the 'can be overiden' checkbox in individual materials referenced into Grasshopper as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-06-26_GH_Material_Overide.png Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	1184584

Would an application like this support overiding VR Proxy Scenes referenced into Grasshopper?

Comment

Rhino/VRay does allow for selected materials to not be overridden, so having that option in grasshopper would also be nice to have. Thought a global override could respect the rhino material's setting to not be overridden, materials created in grasshopper would not have the same option.

Comment

Originally posted by paul-twoatsix
                      ...a global overide like what we have within Rhino...
                      This is what I have already explained in post Blogs

Originally posted by richard_aubin
                      ...doesn't address the Proxy Scene material override that this post is about...
                      I gave my proposal to show that there is a solution to the problem (workaround) available today, that targets overriding the material before it gets to the geometry. This is the usual GH way. There is no such workaround for the proxy scene component, and I didn't aim to solve it at all.
                      The proxy scene material override will be addressed by the same global material override, explained in post Blogs
                      Last edited by nikolay.bakalov; 26-06-2023, 06:47 AM.

Comment

nikolay.bakalov I'm not sure what you're linking to with "post Blogs" above - the link doesn't take me anywhere useful?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	1184595

Comment

Originally posted by nikolay.bakalov View Post

The proxy scene material override will be addressed by the same global material override, explained in post Blogs
                          The node I suggest addresses all issues and allows the flexibility of global and on material only basis while minimizing the amount of plumbing involved, and I believe it to be the one that reflects the Rhino/VRay workflow the most.

But its your product, do as you will. I'm just a user.

Comment

Hi paul-twoatsix,
                            Sorry for the confusion. This forum system is playing tricks to me again. I was referring to post 3 in this topic
                            https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...58#post1184258
                            (I checked the link this time, it works)​

Comment

Originally posted by nikolay.bakalov View Post
                              Hi paul-twoatsix,
                              Sorry for the confusion. This forum system is playing tricks to me again. I was referring to post 3 in this topic
                              https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...58#post1184258
                              (I checked the link this time, it works)​
                              nikolay.bakalov no worries at all - I think we've both tried two different ways to link back to your first comment in this thread. I've only just figured out how to quote in a reply as well...

Anyway - I'm looking forward to see what you guys come up with in terms of a general material overide in grasshopper. With regards to a Proxy Scene material overide - I can just export two versions (base material and production) - or export proxy meshes that I can apply materials to within Grasshopper.​

Comment

Working...
                              X