Tiny lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny lights

I'm not sure if the issue I'm having is with Rhino or Vray, but when I add lights to a scene, they're extremely tiny. I'm using mm for units on my project and when I add any of the different lights(rectangle light, dome light, spot light ect), they're so small that I have to zoom way in to even find them. The rectangle light is about 2mm wide. And even if I make the lights bigger in Rhino using the gumball, they still emit almost no light, as if they were still tiny.

I'm pretty new to Vray, so any help at all would be appreciated.

Hello jason_s,
    Welcome to Chaos Forums!

If you create a new scene using Template Small Objects - Millimeters for example and create a 1x1m cube, then create a 1x1m Rectangular light as well - you can see that the size of the light in the viewport will be correct. Lights size can be set in the lights parameters in the V-Ray Asset Editor: please see the example. Also please note that best practice is to avoid scaling your lights as it may lead to some rendering issues - use size parameters instead. Brightness of the lights is controlled by Intensity parameter in the light settings, not only by its size: example.

As for your scene, would it be possible to share it with us, so we could take a look? If it is alright, make sure to archive your scene with the Pack Project tool (V-Ray > Pack Project tool) in order to include all assets. If file size is too big to attach it on forum please open a ticket using this submit request form and upload the archived scene in the ticket. Also please specify your V-Ray version (a screenshot of the V-Ray>Help>About V-Ray would be sufficient).

You have shared that you are new to V-Ray, which is why I would like to encourage you to visit our official YouTube channel where you can search for Rhino and see the list of videos on different topics: ChaosTV (Rhino). Apart from that, you can check our documentation on V-Ray for Rhino that has descriptions and examples that may be helpful.

Waiting for your response.
    Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks natalia! That solves my issue. I didn't have a particular scene, just some projects that I was experimenting with vray. They were all using the small objects/mm template, but have objects over 100mm, thus the tiny lights. I thought it was a glitch or something, but adjusting the lights size in parameters instead of scaling them in rhino made the difference and everything is lighting up perfectly now.

Comment

Glad to hear that

Should you need our assistance do not hesitate to reach out here on forum or in a ticket!
        Wish you great renders!
        Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X