Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Depth with Opacity maps?

Dear Community,

I am having an issue here that has now been grinding down my nerves for the second day.
    I scattered some planes in Grasshopper and created a billboard material with some grass on it to get nice foreground grass leaves in addition to a 2d-displacement grass material lying underneath.
    The trouble is that everything in the background becomes black, or rather alpha. It feels as if there was a max depth option somewhere buried within the settings that I cannot access, thus skipping to an exit color, after the ray has passed the nth plane.
    If rendered on GPU it works fine, but there the 2D-displacement doesn't work.
    Has anyone any experience with this issue, or can I tell me if I can get to this value through scripting or a config file or anything? Or maybe I am on the wrong track entirely?
    Would be great for someone to chime in here.

Thanks in advance,
    Jan Philipp

PS: It seems to be the same in 3ds-max.
    Attached Files

Hello Jan,

Thanks for your post. Could you please tell what version of V-Ray you are using and also archive the scene you are working on and share it with us? This can easily be done by using the V-Ray menu > Pack Project. You can send it at support@chaosgroup.com through a file-sharing service of your choice.
    Once we investigate it we will be able to assist you further.

Kind regards,
    Natali
    Last edited by natali.velcheva; 17-10-2018, 01:02 AM.
    Natali Velcheva
    V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
    www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Hello, Jan,

As I already mentioned by email, the parameter you need to update is Opacity Depth https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...+Anti-Aliasing. It is exposed in Settings > Raytrace (Advanced view) > Optimizations > Opacity Depth. Try increasing the value to 100 or whatever fixes the issue based on your camera position.

Kind regards,
      Natali
      Natali Velcheva
      V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
      www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

HI Jan Philipp,

The parameter that Natali pointed out will certainly help.

On the other hand, keep in mind that big opacity depth value will slow down rendering quite a bit.
        V-Ray is often times better at rendering huge number of polygons compared to many transparent surfaces.
        I would recommend you use V-Ray Fur or even scattering proxy grass strands with no opacity in the material.

Regards,
        Konstantin

Comment

Working...
        X