Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrapper

Hi,
    I'm struggling with materials reflecting its colour to its surroundings. This reflection creates an orange blur on the white ground surface (as you can see on the picture). I was advised to use Wrapper material to prevent that reflection, but it doesn't seem to be working. I made a printscreen of wrapper settings.
    Could you please help me find out what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I use Rhino 6, V-Ray Next 4.1

Hi,

The Generate GI parameter is correctly set in this case and it should resolve the color bleeding. Would it be alright if you share the project with us so we can investigate in detail and advise accordingly? If this is alright, please send us an archived copy (V-Ray > Pack Project) to support@chaosgroup.com via email or a file-sharing service of your choice.

In the meantime, you could try using a V-Ray Override material and slot a transparent material in the GI parameter. For more detailed information, please visit https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VNFR/Override

Comment

Hi,

sure, sharing is not a problem. I have erased redundant materials and objects and uploaded the project here https://www.uschovna.cz/zasilka/sh9b6lvzwxfybnb4-x83 (click the yellow button "Stáhnout zásilku" for download).

I sent this question to support@ last week (nr. 176-349-8330). Mr. Slavcho Brusev replied today and advised me to try using Override based on white material. It solves the issue with the blur on the ground, however, it affects shadows and makes them lighter or even invisible.

I have just tried using transparent material and it seems to be working better than the white one. Blur disappears and shadows are not that much affected as they are when using the white material.

Please let me know if you manage to find out what is wrong with the Wrapper in the project.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for the link!

However, I was able to download only the 3dm file and some assets related to the project were missing. Could you please use the Pack Project function to create an archived copy?

Comment

Hi,
          I did pack the project using V-Ray -> Pack Project. What does seem to be missing?
          I have tried again but I am affraid it is the same. Link:
          https://www.uschovna.cz/zasilka/SIT7K9LXF225PMSW-CWB/
          I have checked the packed project using another PC and it works. This is how the render output looks like.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for the files provided!

Kindly note that the Irradiance Map parameter needs to be disabled (in this case) for the Generate GI parameter to work correctly.

Additionally, please be note that the direct lighting (V-Ray Dome Light) could be producing the orange blur at the high intensity it is set (2500)

Comment

Hi,
              thank you for the tip about Irradiance Map, I'll keep it off. However, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the result at all. I've uploaded pictures with Irradiance Map parameter enabled and disabled, so you can compare.

I use dome light at intensity level 2500 because it's the lowest level that makes the ground white (255,255,255). Picture is too dark at lower levels. I also tried to replace HDRI to another one, but the result is still the same. I would like to keep using the dome light, because we have many curved glossy components (stainless steel etc.) and image reflecting on theirs surfaces looks much better than solid black/white background.

Hypothetically, if the high dome light level is to blame, is there any option I could try to lower the intensity level and keep the ground white (and other materials not effected as well)
              at the same time
              ?

Comment

I was curious what happen here and tested the scene. Also if I use a material override grey color the yellow area is visible. So, It are not the materials. I disabled the dome light and used the default HDRI environment -> the yellow area was gone. So, it looks like some yellow areas from your HDRI cause this yellow effect in the shadow of the big plate.

My hint - use a neutral sky like the attached (you can remove the sun from the HDRI too, if you like) and add a directional light. The large blue sky from the HDRI bring some blueish tint in the shadows for a better realism. The dir light is easy to control. Attached my test result, all materials without wrapper, only basic materials.

www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Attached the project file with optimized setup. How you like you could adjust the color of the dir light and the HDRI.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                    problem solved. Thank you very much for your tips about light settings. HDRI obviously emited orange coloured light so it had to be modified to emit grayscale light only. Shadow is still there, but it's very mildly grey and that's good enough.

Apparently, there is some kind of problem with "Pack project" function. Micha, I suppose you packed the project using V-Ray -> Pack Project, is that so? This is what I see when I open your project. Settings are almost completely gone I have encountered this problem several times already.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think I used the pack function. There should be more materials and a dir light, for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X