• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Edge / Mix Operator

Hi everyone !

Vray 3.6 for Rhino 6 Wondows 10

Little question regarding visible lines on the soft edges :

These edges are not visible when zoomed out but if one wants to do a close render they are there. Any idea how to remove them ?

Additionally soft edge will not affect adjacent surfaces, I presume there is no way to do it apart modifying the form itself by chamfering it.

Lastly the Amount in the Bump/Normal Mapping is responsible for the size of bump ie wood grain , does it do anything to the soft edges if u mix both in the Mix Operator ?

Thanx !

Hello,

The Bump shader option is a shading effect - it simulates how the light will act as if the surface had relief.
    However this effect does not change the geometry of the object and in some cases(zoomed in or specific angle) this can contradict the ‘real’ geometry.
    If you wish to have truly rounded edges in all cases the geometry needs to be chamfered.

Comment

Thank you Slavcho, that explains it all !

Comment

Jarek88 So, if you need to add chamfers, than you should try Rhino softedgening function. It keeps your NURBS geometry and creates fillets/chamfers at the render mesh only.
        www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Micha Thanx for the advice, I will do accordingly if needed, was just testing if the let's say concrete wall with chamfered edges will look any better / realistic but it turns out its best left sharp and then if so post produced further.

Comment

An advantage of the Rhino softedgening is that you can enable sharp chamfers instead round fillets too. Good luck.

Comment

hello guys,

Simple question : how could I use at the same time a Vray softenedge texture (which is a map placed in bumpmap slot) and the original bump map of the my texture ? Mix operator ? how ?

thanks,
              -CC

Comment

I don't know a save way to combine softedge and tex bump into the single bump slot, but you could create a bump material and use your original textured bump material as base material there.

Comment

Working...
                X