Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New version changed the decal functionality > broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New version changed the decal functionality > broken?

I'm using the same process for getting a decal on a surface, but the build Next / 4.20.01 will not work ... even with materials that used to work! It worked before with some complicated set-up, but at least it worked. (Unfortunately, the exact steps to get a simple decal have changed a few times.)

When it does work properly, I can see the base material below the decal layer. Can you direct me to a tutorial or tech notes? I have NEVER found this topic in the support docs. This seems like something that is common enough it should be in there!

I'll post a screen capture of my mess soon.
    Last edited by schultzeworks; 10-04-2020, 02:29 PM.

Here is a material that worked fine in a prior version. Now I only can see the base material (2nd layer) directly below the decal, but nowhere else.

Comment

Hi schultzeworks

Kindly note that the old workflow still works and we were not able to reproduce any issues with it.

Could you check that the Opacity rollout uses the correct texture and that it has been migrated successfully? Additionally, could you send us the material as a .vrmat file so we can further investigate it?

In the meantime, please be informed that Rhino's Decals are now fully supported! You are welcome to check how they are utilized in the following video: https://youtu.be/kxmaVSTnXOo?t=66
      Last edited by georgi.georgiev; 13-04-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by georgi.georgiev View Post
        Hi schultzeworks

Kindly note that the old workflow still works and we were not able to reproduce any issues with it.

Could you check that the Opacity rollout uses the correct texture and that it has been migrated successfully?
        I believe this has changed. That's why old materials stopped working and I spent several hours guessing what would fix it.

You're right; next time I will use Rhino decals. But neither of these two solutions are ANYWHERE in your documentation. I would like to see a section "Make a decal."

Click image for larger version

Name:	getting decal 2.png
Views:	146
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	1066919Click image for larger version

Name:	getting decal 1.png
Views:	106
Size:	516.1 KB
ID:	1066920

Comment

schultzeworks

Thank you for pointing out the content missing in our documentation! This will be fixed.

Regarding the material, was it related to a migration issue or you had a specific workflow that does not work anymore?

Comment

Working...
          X