OpenEXR vs VFB/jpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenEXR vs VFB/jpg

I cannot seem to find a clear explanation for why, when I open a saved Beauty Pass in Photoshop via an OpenEXR file, the image does not match what I see in the VFB after making my adjustments using VFB color correction. If I save a jpg or a png and then open it in Photoshop, the image matches the adjusted VFB image.

I understand this may be related to Photoshop's lack of 32-bit support? I'm not an expert in compositing by any means so any simple explanation would be appreciated, I would love to be able to use EXR files for compositing that retain the settings I applied using the VFB.

Hi skdeisher,

This is in our plans for future development and will be implemented in the next big update, however, for the time being to get the Color Corrections from the VFB to match the .exr output you can do the following:
    • Make the desired Color Corrections in the VFB
    • Save them as a LUT file (VFB > Globals > Save > Save as type: LUT file (*.cube)
    • Open the .exr file in Photoshop and load the LUT file (New adjustment layer > Color Lookup > Load 3D LUT)
    Hope that helps!
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hi skdeisher,

Download the EXR IO plugin for PS: https://www.exr-io.com/

And set it up so it splits the EXR file correctly into layers. Usually the layer on top is a lightmix one, the RGB / Effects Result is somewhere below. And also after the EXR import, go to Image > Mode > reduce the bit depth. Then your adjustment tools get unblocked and you can work like you're used to.

Nikoleta, thank you for an amazing tip!

Cheers
      Jonas

Comment

Working...
      X