Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render shadows but not object?

Hi,

I was hoping to render a scene with trees and people as basic models so they cast shadows, but the models themself are not actually rendered. I want to be able to add them in photoshop... Is this possible?

I am using vray 5 & rhino7

Thanks
    Chris

Two ways:
    * add material attribute "raytrace properties" and disable "visible to camera"
    * use a clipping plane, set the mode to "include" (V-Ray object properties) and pick the objects you want to hide only. Place the clipping plane so that the objects are clipped.
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Hi chris_grieve,

You could also use an override material (LINK). An example set up will be as follows:
      1. Create two generic and one override material
      2. Make one of the generic materials completely transparent by adjusting the Opacity rollout and slot it as Base Material in Override material
      3. Slot the other generic material in the Shadows parameter of the Override material

Comment

Thank you both very much for your help! The raytrace option worked but not with some of the objects...I am assuming it is because these objects are blocks made of proxies...I might have to set them up this way before converting them!

Comment

Hi chris_grieve,

* add material attribute "raytrace properties" and disable "visible to camera"
          This is the right way to do it.

...but not with some of the objects...I am assuming it is because these objects are blocks made of proxies...I might have to set them up this way before converting them!
          I don't see how this could be a problem.
          Proxy Meshes themselves don't contain material information.
          You'll have to add the raytrace attribute to the material/s assigned to the proxy.

Konstantin

Comment

Working...
          X