How to create this type of material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create this type of material

I purchased some 3d models and their associated textures from AXYZ-Design.com (see the two attached images). When I was working with McNeel's Flamingo renderer (and providing I updated the paths to the textures), I could easily make a material that rendered correctly. Now that I'm using Vray, I can't seem to create a proper material. My questions are these:
    1. What is this type of material called? What's the correct way to describe this type of material?
    2. What kinds of programs let you create these types of textures?
    3. And the $64k question—How do I create and apply a material using these textures in Vray for Rhino?
    Many thanks, in advance, for your help!
    Attached Files

Since it is only a diffuse texture needed to apply you can use a Rhino material or a V-Ray material. Add the texture to the diffuse color slot and ready to apply. The textures can't be created by yourself, the 3D model creator can create it only. You can modify the texture per every photo editor. Apply the V-Ray material for example per drag&drop from the asset editor to the 3D model.
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Micha - Thanks for the reply. That's what I assumed, but after I've created the material (diffuse only), and have applied it, the model in this file (call it "File A") still renders as pure white. I thought I might have to play with the texture mapping, but oddly, once I apply the material to the model, the "Texture Mapping" icon between the "Material" and "Thickness" on the "Properties" panel disappears!

Finally, if I open another 3DM file (call it "File B") with materials previously created in Flamingo, THAT file renders just fine. However, copy-and-pasting a model from "File B" into "File A" suddenly fails to render, even though I see its material was pasted in the Vray material list.

Comment

Best you post an example file. Maybe the problem is that the material was created per Flamingo and isn't right used at the new render engine. Or something other is not right.

Comment

Here's a RAR file with both the 3DM file and the texture map. Thanks for your reply.
          Attached Files

Comment

Simple solution - the model is a block and the material is assigned to the block only, this doesn't work. You need to assign the material to the model in the block or explode the block and assign.

Comment

Micha - Excellent! You've now can claim to have TWO jobs—Vray/Rhino Master for solving my problem, and Psychotherapist for showing me I'm not going nuts! Thanks, VERY much for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X