Cloud Render from Grasshopper questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud Render from Grasshopper questions

I just saw the video about the new 6.1 update and am particularly interested in using Cloud Render with Grasshopper. As you can see here: https://youtu.be/VN3tclAB38Q?t=398 you have to right-click the component and then click on "Render on the cloud".

Since we want to enable our not so technically inclined folks to start some renders based on products created by a Grasshopper script, my question is: Can this function be triggered in another way that is not right-clicking on the component? Can it be triggered by script for example, so I can add it to a simple UI using either Human UI plugin or the Remote Control Panel in Rhino?

Also another question is: Can this process be automated completely? Like without the extra submission step on the website? You can see in the video that the image size has to be adjusted. Can this be automated so someone can submit a render and it always uses some pre-defined settings?

Last question: Where does the Cloud Render get saved to? Is there a way to get back a URL where it is saved to? What would be amazing is if we could submit a job to Chaos Cloud like an API and get back a URL to an image as a response. We want to be able to visualize parametric products in some sort of automated way. Using Shapediver with their Backend API you can already do the geometry creation through a Grasshopper Script in the cloud. Now we are wondering how we can connect the last few steps and use the Geometry plus a scene setup in Grasshopper to submit a render job to Chaos Cloud and get back the rendered image.

What are your thoughts? Is something like that possible or planned?

Thanks!

Hi,

Let me answer each question one by one
    Code:
    Can it be triggered by script for example,
    With the currently released version no, but I just added another method to the scripting interface - so, yes, you can
    Click image for larger version  Name:	exportcloudscript.png Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	1185578

Code:
    Can this process be automated completely
    No, well in practice it can be done with a small wrapping script, but I don't think that is a good idea.
    The extra submission step is rather a fail safe mechanism. The web page allows altering the resolution and alike, but that is not mandatory - just a convenience. The main thing about the web page is to verify the login and project you're submitting to, and that you have enough credits.
    A fully automated submission will prevent you from having a final word on the money expense. Even opening a .gh file with the script above WILL submit immediately, because GH will solve the definition on loadup. This may cost you lots of money, and it is better for us to ask for an extra verification.
    It might be OK for you, but imagine a regular user starts playing with sliders all over the canvas, while talking on the phone! That simple script there may burn thru his credits in no time. And we will get an avalanche of refund requests. Not even mentioning the waste of resources on the cloud infrastructure.

Code:
    Where does the Cloud Render get saved to
    Nowhere on the end user machine. The rendering stays in the chaos cloud and you need to download it once it is done.

Code:
    Is there a way to get back a URL where it is saved to
    No. The submit process is initiated and deferred by the solution on a different process. The result image URL is not known until the submit is complete, and that completes once you confirm in the web page. That might take some time (or even get cancelled), and we cannot block the GH solution waiting for that result

Code:
    What would be amazing is if we could submit a job to Chaos Cloud like an API and get back a URL
    well that is how it kind of works, but it requires the confirmation step on purpose

Code:
    We want to be able to visualize parametric products in some sort of automated way
    Typically scripting is the way to go. You can do it right now. The ExportCloud() function simply uses two already existing tools - ExportScene() and Chaos Cloud App. Most of its code is error handling. You can just write a tiny script and automate this process for you completely. However don't blame us on the bill if something goes wrong.
    I don't think the refund policy covers any script mishaps on the client side

Code:
    Now we are wondering how we can connect the last few steps and use the Geometry plus a scene setup in Grasshopper to submit a render job to Chaos Cloud and get back the rendered image.
    Give us some details and example at best, I'm pretty sure there is something to be done. Submitting to Chaos Cloud is certainly not a blocker in whatever the situation is.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nikolay.bakalov; 07-07-2023, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X