Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Workflow in Vray 6 and Enscape 3.5 When Working on Multiple Devices in an Architecture Office.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Workflow in Vray 6 and Enscape 3.5 When Working on Multiple Devices in an Architecture Office.

Hi there! I'm after some clarity/advice around the best way to work in an architecture office (50+ people) when it comes to material libraries and best workflow across Enscape and Vray without loosing links to textures/ bitmaps on all our devices.

To date we have created and used a custom created library of materials with links to a shared drive on our server for both Enscape and Vray materials (not the Enscape Material Library or the Vray Material Library which link to our local networks), so that all computers in the studio are linking textures form the same place (our K Drive, for instance).

We're about to update to Enscape 3.5 and Vray 6 and I've read that we should now be using the Cosmos Materials and Enscape Material Library moving forward and my question is: Should these replace our custom material libraries? Will these materials read across all our devises and read correctly if a file is opened on all computers? Is there a place I should change the paths so that materials all link to the same place and not to a users profile/documents folder causing problems with lost links? What is the best workflow moving forward to maintain all links (Cosmos Assets, Enscape Assets, Materials) across all devices and still take full advantage of the streamlines workflow of the new updates?

Thanks in advance for advice!
    Tamsin.​

Hello Tamsin O'Reilly,
    Thank you for posting your question.

I've read that we should now be using the Cosmos Materials and Enscape Material Library moving forward and my question is: Should these replace our custom material libraries?
    First of all please note that in terms of working with your custom library there are no changes at this point. While using both Cosmos Browser and Enscape material and assets library you can continue using your own assets the way you are used to. We are considering integrating custom assets to Cosmos Browser in the future, as this feature is a highly requested one, but at the moment I am not able to provide you with any time lines.

What is the best workflow moving forward to maintain all links (Cosmos Assets, Enscape Assets, Materials) across all devices and still take full advantage of the streamlines workflow of the new updates?
    Regarding Cosmos Browser - by default it is set to a local folder, though it can be changed to a shared one from Cosmos Browser Settings: please see documentation for more details. Make sure to do that for all users and apart from that keep in mind that to ensure best workflow you need to have the same versions of V-Ray and Cosmos Browser on every machine. Also please note that Chaos Cosmos Browser currently supports any form of network install, including mapped drives, UNC paths, Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive.

As for Enscape there are two things to note here. Directory for Enscape Material library can be changed as well: you are welcome to find more information here in Enscape documentation. On the contrary the directory for the online Enscape Assets library can not be changed, though it would not be necessary. These files are always stored in the Temp folder and will be created for each user. Once again make sure to use same version of Enscape.

If you need any additional information let us know.

UPD: Also please note that I have moved your topic to the General category.
    Last edited by natalia.gruzdova; 29-11-2023, 07:53 AM.
    Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Natalia, thanks for the clear explanation and links! Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X