Gi - Reflections Refractions VS Material Reflections Refractions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gi - Reflections Refractions VS Material Reflections Refractions

Can someone explain the difference Vs the Reflections and Refractions from the environments tab VS the materials tab.

In my example, when i load up the Reflect and refract under the Environment i get good results of a diamond,

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	123.7 KB ID:	1202153

when i do it under the material tab i get a horrible result..

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	213.9 KB ID:	1202154
    Last edited by josh_white; 15-02-2024, 10:35 AM.

Hello Josh,
    I have responded to the ticket you have opened, as well as here

Reflection/Refraction in Environment and Reflection/Refraction in Material (Generic Reflection/Refraction) are two different things. To put it simply, Material Refraction/Reflection affects only the material. Environmental Refraction affects everything in a scene including the material and its settings. Therefore, the result in the second image is expected. The material appears less translucent and more greyish because there is a texture loaded in the Refraction texture slot.

The (Generic) Refraction in the Material: enables and controls the amount and "pattern" of the material refraction. "Absolute" black color (0.000, 0.000, 0.000) disables the refractions’, and "absolute" white (1.000, 1.000, 1.000) is the maximum amount. In your example, the Refraction color seems almost white and the material is very translucent. When you load the Bitmap texture and check the checker box, the texture overrides this translucency value.Video example

The Refraction in the Environment: specifies a color/texture map to override the Environment refraction rays and can affect everything in the project. This color is ignored if there is an environment texture specified.

The (Generic) Reflection in the material: enables and controls the amount and "pattern" of the material reflection. Black color is no reflection, white color is the maximum value. If a texture is loaded the color value is overridden. According to the texture, different parts of the material may have different reflection values. The Environment Reflection affects everything in the project. Video example
    Diana Milenova | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
    X