New beta release when ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New beta release when ?

Want to ask about new beta release is it far from now ?
    Just really want mat editor OR import .mat files from 3dsmax. Can't render anything complex without materials.
    And want to ask about tesselating mesh only once (of course if it's not changed already), without need to re-tesselate each time I move camera or lights...

I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

New beta release when ?

Paul,

We are not 100% sure when we will have a new build. We are trying to implement a simple material preview to assist users in building materials. To be honest I kind of understand where you are coming from but I am not really sure why you can't add materials to your scenes. Are you have trouble making materials that look like the materials you make in 3ds max? Are your models a single meshes that need multisub materials?

Granted there is a little labor involved with material application and there are mapping limitations in rhino 3. We'll do our best to help the situation. But, we are waiting to hear more details about Rhino 4 before jumping inany deeper these limitations we are dealing with.

So, please bear with us. In the meantime we hope to see some of your images with materials applied. It is more than possible to do so.

Best regards,

Corey
    Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
    Director

Chaos Group

Comment

New beta release when ?

The tesselation only happens once, it's the 'creating render meshes' message in the rhino status bar. The 'building scene' message you see in the render window has something to do with dividing the scene up into a grid or something I think, it's not tesselating again.

Altough I would like a material preview too, I don't think it is really crucial for making materials. In max your materials never look like they appear in the mat editor, it depends on so many other scene settings that you will always have to test render. The current material options are so limited that you simply know how it will look like without seeing a preview. (if you're used to vray for max that is).

What would help a lot is a render region option, so that when you want to test render a certain object in the scene, you don't need to render the whole image but only a small part of it.

The thing I want a mat editor for, is to be able to assing materials to multiple objects at once. And then you'll be able to change the material and all objects will reflect these changes.
      Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

New beta release when ?

Well.... I want to do first render in rhino. I really don't know the materials I want in that scene. But I think I'll do smth in max and then will xtrapolate max mat's to rhino

BTW - tried smth really complex (4k surfaces) but it was so damn long (approx. 40minutes for VRay to cumpute "rendermesh" or hows it called) so I canceled render...
        CG Artist

Comment

New beta release when ?

Hi Paul,

Have you used rhino before you started using vray for rhino?

Creating render meshes is necessary to render the rhino nurbs surfaces. Since there are only scene dependant settings for this conversion, you need to be very carefull with these settings, especially on large scenes.

Why don't you start with something simple instead of scenes with tons of surfaces?

But I have the impression you have to learn some rhino basics before moving on to rendering with vray for rhino. It's the same in max, if you don't know max and want to render with vray for max, you also need some basic max knowledge before you can start using vray with it.
          Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

New beta release when ?

Hm.... 5-years in Rhino -=- is it enough ?

And I know what need to be done to render NURBS! I want to ask - is it Vray tesselates NURBS or Rhino, before render ?

And I did start with simple scene in VR f Rh, you can look at in gallery.
            Do you agree, that when you tried smth simple, you need smth more com-plex to try! This is my work. PowerNURBS gets that mesh "eaten" in seconds. So I'm curious - who's meshing in VR f Rh...

P.S. PowerNURBS is fast. The only it's benefit
            CG Artist

Comment

New beta release when ?

Yeah it's enough

But it's a bit weird you are so unfamiliar with the meshing in rhino. With the complex scene with all the surfaces, do you turn on shaded mode for it? Because then rhino will also need to mesh the entire scene (taking up 40 minutes). But once this is done, it doesn't need to recreate the mesh if you don't alter the surfaces.

Rhino always needs custom mesh settings, the two presets (jagged & faster and smooth & slower) simply are not good enough. That's the base of your rendering and directly affects rendertime, the smaller the mesh the smaller the rendertime.

Comment

New beta release when ?

Rhino meshes it in seconds! I made some optimizations for shade mesh in viewports! All is fast and perfect!!! But when it comes to render....

Maybe we misunderstand eachother ?
                CG Artist

Comment

New beta release when ?

So what is taking 40 minutes?
                  a) the message in rhino status bar: "creating rendering meshes"
                  b) the message in vray for rhino renderwindow: "building scene..."

Comment

New beta release when ?

Oh... let me see.... Need to recreate the scene...
                    Building scene.... (as Rhino already got the viewport mesh...)

BTW - do you know, that viewport mesh is stored in Rhino
                    CG Artist

Comment

New beta release when ?

Yes but that's where the confusion comes from, I thought you were complaining about mesh creation that was taking so long, which would then be a rhino thing and not a vray for rhino.

And want to ask about tesselating mesh only once (of course if it's not changed already), without need to re-tesselate each time I move camera or lights...
                      The building scene is not the same as tesselation (I think).

Comment

New beta release when ?

This thing I don't understand. Just curious how's it work

Well this was a nice conversation
                        CG Artist

Comment

New beta release when ?

Well I also don't know how it works, but vray for max has similar messages if you render big scenes, but it is usually pretty fast unless you're using a lot of displacement etc...

Comment

New beta release when ?

Yap!!!
                            CG Artist

Comment

New beta release when ?

Paul,

what are your mesh settings in Rhino? I mostly start with all values set to 0, then only fill in the max. dist. edge to srf. The jagged and faster /smooth and slower don't work most of the time and are always slower than the manual settings.
                              You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Working...
                              X