Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nurbs VS mesh, how it effects the renderings time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurbs VS mesh, how it effects the renderings time?

I noticed in some tutorials that people use mesh models and play with the resolution to speed-up rendering time.
    In Rhino I always use Nurbs only and never use mesh except when I need to export a stl file for rapid prototyping.
    After couple weeks of trial and error, I have to say that I am still not impressed by Vray render time, however I saw other user's render time - Is it because I use Nurbs? Shall I change it to mesh to accelerate render time?

I would say if you are having problems with render time it would have more to do with your scene setup and options setup. Perhaps if you could provide the scene or some detail we could suggest things to speed up your renderings. That is the double-edged sword of vray - it provides the options to tweak rendering speed and precision, but if you aren't familiar with it it can also greatly decrease your rendering times.
    Best regards,
    Joe Bacigalupa
    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Does VfR support NURBS? I have thought it use meshes only.
      www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Yes Micha, Vray supports nurbs - good since 80% of Rhino users use Nurbs only.

And Corey, you must be right. I tested changing my nurb model to mesh (mid-quality) and no change to my render time.

I am still struggling a lot to dial-in settings for fast renders.

i am thinking to try your visopt files and look at the settings. I downloaded them. How can i import them into Vray?

If I don't get anything better I will post my model file to get some tis/input.

Thanks,

Nicolas

Comment

But I think VfR dosn't support NURBS now. You can test it: set the rhino mesh settings very low and render a sphere - you can see the polygons.

But could be nice to get a NURBS support.

You can import the visopt at the Vray option page, at the tope is a menu.

Comment

I think there's some confusion here, maybe on my part.

Rhino creates meshes of your NURB surfaces based on your mesh settings- you may never see these meshes- they're used for shaded display and for rendering.

Vray is rendering those invisible meshes, not the NURBS directly. Try rendering a sphere with your mesh settings on "jagged." You'll see the facets on the sphere edge. Now change all mesh settings to 0 except max distance to surface and set it low (.001 for a 1" sphere). Render- you'll see a smooth edge.

You haven't changed the NURB, just the mesh settings.

Am I correct?

Oh- Micha beat me to it!

Comment

Micha - Thanks for directions on how to import visopts. However it doesn't load, even when i start with a fresh file. It says "failed to load options from file"

Comment

Hmm, did you use RC1? If yes, you could try to deinstall VfR and install again. Some times an install problem is the reason for strange effects. Here it works.

Comment

I use RC2 from few days ago...

Comment

... works here at RC2 (internal test release) too.

Comment

Micha, I'm going to follow your advice and re-install the rc2. So far I updated, maybe it is the cause of the problem...

Comment

Originally posted by nicolasdenhez
                        Micha, I'm going to follow your advice and re-install the rc2. So far I updated, maybe it is the cause of the problem...
                        There's an RC2? I didn't see an announcement for this. When I started to download, it was RC1.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by broozee
                          There's an RC2? I didn't see an announcement for this. When I started to download, it was RC1.

Bill
                          It hasn't been released yet
                          Best regards,
                          Joe Bacigalupa
                          Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

On May 12th I dowlaoded a preview of RC2 (TestBuild 3)

Comment

Yes we release a couple test release to some people prior to real release to insure we haven't overlooked anything simple that may cause initial problems.
                              Best regards,
                              Joe Bacigalupa
                              Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                              X