Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed with Textures !

Hi All,

I'm experimenting with texture mapping in RC2 and am not making much progress! I'm trying to bump map a 'sparked finish' onto a model of an injection moulded component and before moving to bump maps I am just adding a texture in the diffuse layer just to see how the mapping and scaling works. I cannot seem to scale or tile the bitmap image at all using RCM - can someone please enlighten me as to the steps I need to go through to apply a texture and then scale accordingly.

Thanks,

Phil C

Help Needed with Textures !

It should be as simple as selecting the object you wish to apply mapping to and hit F3 to bring up the object properties. There you would go to mapping to come to the RCM object props. Check "Show advanced UI" to bring up the advanced controls. Then click "Add" to add a channel. Now you choose the type of mapping you want to apply. That is set in the "General" section "Projection". Now at the bottom you can control the tiling. Currently RCM only really allows 2d stuff, so tiling in the U and V direction are the only ones that will affect anything. Now in your diffuse layer add a checker texture as the diffuse texture. Make sure that the checker texture's UVW settings are set to "Explicit Channel" and that it is pointing at the proper channel (by default it should be 1). Now apply this material to your mapped object and render. Voila. If you are still having problems please let me know some more specifics of your problem/question.
    Best regards,
    Joe Bacigalupa
    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Joe,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I've got as far as doing the basic stuff but...

1) Only bitmap textures seem tp preview in Rhino's rendered viewport. Should (or will they at release time) the procedural textures (eg Noise) preview?

2) The RCM mapping seems pretty basic - In my current renderer its fairly easy to map a bitmapped 'sparked' texture onto a complex plastic moulded shape simply by tiling a small square bitmap image - there may be the odd area where the texture doesn't look quite right but this can be tweaked. So far, however, in VRay for Rhino the only way I can do this is to make the bitmapped texture big enough to cover the whole moulded product as somehow I cannot get the whole tiling/scaling thing to much in RCM.

3) Can your procedural textures such as 'Noise' be used for bump mapping?

Cheers,

Phil C

Comment

Hi Phil

I don't think the 'procedural textures' eg noise works at the moment (or at least they didn't when I asked the same question in Release 13)

In the short term, to create a slight spark finish I use the method described in sections 5, 6 and 7 of 'flipsides' tutorials

http://www.aversis.be/extra_tutorial...ettings_03.htm

It seems to work for me? - But I'm looking forward to the 'procedurals' working!!

Hope this helps

Magnatizerr

Comment

Magnatizerr,

Thanks for the info - I'll give this a go!

Phil C

Comment

Originally posted by Phil C
            Joe,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I've got as far as doing the basic stuff but...

1) Only bitmap textures seem tp preview in Rhino's rendered viewport. Should (or will they at release time) the procedural textures (eg Noise) preview?
            No, Rhino does not give us access to doing the rendering for "Rendered Viewports". So our previews are limited to what Rhinoceros can do....and thats bitmap textures.
            3) Can your procedural textures such as 'Noise' be used for bump mapping?
            As of now only the Bitmap texture supports the bump interface - thus only bitmaps can be used as bumps. You can still render a proc and save its output and then bring it back in. Its a bit more lengthy a process but it works nonetheless.

As far as your specfic problem with RCM I will see if I can find someone who has more practical knowledge of how to use RCM than I do.
            Best regards,
            Joe Bacigalupa
            Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Joe,

Thanks.

Phil

Comment

Working...
              X