No announcement yet.

gunmetal carpaint with sparkles in it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gunmetal carpaint with sparkles in it ?

Hi,
    I am creating this material now...
    I think I may need to put multiples layers, but nor sur if I must add another surface with kind of eggshell for map transparency of a chrome material on the outer surface offseted just a little bit from the first surface which would be the fresnel dark gray based gunmetal colored.

Do you follow me ?

Can we do this without creating a second surface offseted by using just a second layer of diffuse or reflection ? I don't think so because it's completely another material. with another diffuse associated to a specific reflective layer.

2 diffuse with 2 corresponding reflective layer. how do we manage in one single visopt ? I think we can't.

Jp

problem solved to share maps in the uplaod area ?
    Jp
    Freelance Industrial Designer - Rhino3d v4 - Vray for Rhino

pics with metal flakes:

Comment

I tried,
      2 diffuse + 1 reflection fresnel layer.
      first diffuse is a diffuse map colored 0.4545
      diffuse1 is a white canvas + noise gray with a transparency map of the same noise but pure black.

Comment

... best you read user tutorial M, there is a car paint.

I belive, diffuse layer will not help. At my Rhinoman|AIR time I have done my personal reseach - what is a car paint? - and the conclusion is: a rough metal layer (metal particels of the varnish and a fresnel reflection layer (clear finish). Your posted examples looks like this kind of material.
        For special effects the clear finish can be colored.
        www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Micha come on, I read it a lot.
          the carpaint in this is not the same. If you look closely to the picture I enclosesd and if you look at some paint of Audi or VW... there is some metal flakes in the paint. This is not in the carpaint of material tutorial. This is what I seeking for. The way to achieve.
          Now the best metal/car paint, is to do two surfaces, near on each one, first, the car paint of material tutorial. Top surface, metal + decal map of noise.

Jp

Comment

Hmm, I see no flakes at your examples. Most, I use a noise of 0.01 and this bring me a little flake effect per default.

But if you need more noise, why an extra layer? I would add a noise map to the filter color of the metal layer. I suppose so, this is only necessary for closeup images.
            www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Originally posted by Micha
              Hmm, I see no flakes at your examples. Most, I use a noise of 0.01 and this bring me a little flake effect per default.
              Beliee me there is in a detailed view.

But if you need more noise, why an extra layer? I would add a noise map to the filter color of the metal layer. I suppose so, this is only necessary for closeup images.
              Now you're talking ! Great ! And yeah, it is for closeup shots.
              Jp

Comment

Hi JP - when you mastered it, is there any chance you could show us a sample render? (or better still upload it to the material section? )

I've uploaded my best attempt for Car paint so far, but to be honest I'm not totally satisfactory with the result.

Comment

yep

Comment

I wouldn't add a noise map to the filter layer. I'd rather add it to the color slot of and additional reflection layer. Because adding a noise map to the filter layer will just block light from passing to the following layer. So in this case, if the flakes are on top of the first glossy layer, light should still be able to pass trough this layer between the flakes.
                    You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

So here we go...I went through and did quite a bit of testing on the whole flake/car paint material and have come up with the following examples. I just wanted to post a few examples before I went through with uploading the material and explaining it (its a bit complicated). Just to let you know these specific examples are for a glossy/plastic kind of effect. I'll upload a good reflective paint later. I've found at least with what I've done with it that the color of the flake as opposed to the base color is important. By the way the render times are with the material tester scene settings so thats why they are long. I'm gonna try a few different color combos of base and flake. I'll also try to do some more tests that are in a different situation than the material tester scene.

This is the best so far a nice red base with a orange flake

A white-ish blue base with blue flake

And a white-ish base with an orange flake
                      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

yep,
                        the red one is the closer to what I needed, I looks pretty much like an eggshell if we keep the same noise and put it as a bump.
                        there is a strange line going on the two last no ?

Jp

I find also that the material scene is pretty long to render or is it my computer

thx for trying !
                        I should also read more about noise, acolor etc etc that I never use. I just use fresnel and bitmap !

Comment

Yea I'm not sure exactly what the line is from. I assume its from the mapping in some shape or form. Btw are there any specific colors that your looking for cause I still need to test a few more combos.

The tester scene is just trying to get very accurate results, so thats why it takes a bit longer. If its too long just move over to maxwell, I'm sure they can get it done quicker for ya

Comment

really funny.

but no specific color... I also use the linear workflow using color in a png to be close to accurate when rendering...

Thank you for all the time you put in this !
                            I hope we will be able to import your material (as you know there is a bug for importing some material )

Comment

Here's a new one that got rendered over lunch it some kind of green metal flake thing. All of these are done with proper linear workflow. I think I am going to go ahead an make a better noise map. This might produce better reflections on the flake itself and also get rid of those stupid lines

Heres the latest

Comment

Working...
                              X