X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real time rendering and Vray

Hi
    I m not sure if this applies to the VRay programmers
    One thing I love with Cinema 4D and 3DSmax is being able to see my textures all in real time before doing the final rendering.
    In rhino 3.0 it s not possible but is it something possible in Rhino 4.0 ?
    It s one of those things that makes my work so much more enjoyable
    Or should I ask this question to the Rhino programmers ??

Thanks for your great plug in

PS ( you need to make this plug-in as compatible ( and a priority ) as much as possible with Rhino cause Rhino offers so much potential..... way more than Catia or 3DS max, Cinema 4D etc..etc.......... trust me a lot of engineers AND professionnal illustrator AND industrial Designers are impressed with what Rhino does )

thanks

Alexandre
    www.alexandregalin.com
    lexandre Galin
    <br />Industrial Designer

Re: Real time rendering and Vray

Rhino 4 does have much better viewport support, and our display of textures is significantly better in v4. I think part of making it even better is on our shoulders, and part of it is on the Rhino side of things.

On another note, do you really think that Rhino has more potential then Catia? Not that I have anything against Rhino (I love Rhino), but there's so much more that is possible with Catia then with Rhino. Catia is a completely different entity then Rhino, but there are so many things that it can do that Rhino can't. I think that each has their place (not every project needs Catia, and not every project should use Rhino), but I think when you talk about pure possibilities Catia wins hands down...but that also would explain why Catia is ridiculously expensive...Just wanted to voice my opinion on this one, and would really like to hear what you think.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

mmmm

I do share to a certain extent your point of view, meaning each software has its strenghts and weaknesses. But I have met aerospace engineers use Rhino instead of Catia to do aircraft surfaces. Maybe they aren t working for the big companies like Boeing, Airbus or the one I work for ( Bombardier ) but in the VLJ ( very light jets ) industry I met one guy design an aircraft skin in Rhino and was quite impressed with the quality. I also know another aerospace engineer building he s very own aircraft using Rhino. But I realise that not all the detailed engineering can be handled by Rhino. It s just that in my opinion doing 3D surfaces is the most challenging aspect of 3D modeling and Rhino is way easier, quicker and more intuitive than Catia.
      I ve always loved Rhino not only for the modeling capabilities but customer support is as important if not more than the 3D package and again rhino and it s team kick Dassault System's butt big time. Also paying for every freakin modules in Catia for just a format like a step format is in my opinion unacceptable. For every little modules the Company has to pay a huge sum. So I end up with a very basic Catia tool at around 15 000 $.
      But again I understand what you re saying and I did see some nice stuff on Catia.

Regards

Alexandre
      www.alexandregalin.com
      lexandre Galin
      <br />Industrial Designer

Comment

I think it also may be a difference of the scope of design as well. Rhino would probably be the better way to do the skins, the overall design, and also a good deal of the details. And if your building your own aircraft chances are that much of what you would build it out of (I would assume) would be parts that were not necessarily built by you (ie the landing gear may be a whole assembly that you get somewhere and all you have to do is make sure it can be attached correctly). Where as big companies are probably building all of the assemblies that will go on a plane, and of course all of the things that go along with that (machining, stress analysis, designing the thread on a bolt). I have seen Rhino do incredibly detailed assemblies, so its not that its not possible, but its more that doing that in rhino would require allot of remodeling if a part were changed.

As you can tell I'm not too much of an aeronautics guy (architect actually), so its always good to get another field's view of software and how they use it. Most architects are incredibly reluctant to work with the computer, so professions that embrace it are much more interesting to me in some respects.

Thanks
        Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Working...
        X