Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh Settings

Hi all
    First let me tell you that my english ain't the best you can find.... maybe it makes you smile and that's a good thing ;D.
    Well, im new to all of this, this is my first post and i dont know if even this im doing the correct way, and i have a few questions about the mesh settings. I read the tutorial about mesh but i didn't get all the info i need. My question is that im starting to model an Armani watch im mm's(unit)in Rhino v3 and i dont know what settings should i use, i know that there's a good tutorial on the net about this but it seems that i can't find it again.
    Im just starting this model and with your help i will place some fotos here about the wip.
    Thank you all.

Re: Mesh Settings

Well, you don't really need to worry about the mesh until you render, so leave the settings at the default values while your modeling. Since I would assume your scene is very simple (just the watch and a studio backdrop) you can use a very fine mesh for the render. With objects that are at a smaller scale, like your watch, the easiest way to get a well defined mesh is to use the maximum edge length. Set all of the other values to 0, then play with the edge length until you get something that your satisfied with. For something the scale of a watch 1-.5 will probably work. If you render and can see some of the edges/faces of the mesh then you will need to go back and use a lower distance.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

An other universal method is to set all values at 0, except the distance surface to edge. This is your single quality control. So, if I work in unit mm, than I would use 0.1 .. 0.02. This means, the maximum error distance between the mesh and the NURBS surfaces is 0.1 mm ... 0.02 mm. Also I set "refine mesh" and "simple planes". Some times, if you get problems with the mesh (it give you the lowest polycount for your error value), the mesh show artefacts, than you can add other limits like max edge lenght ... .
      www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Thank you Micha and Dalomar
        I think i will finish the model and before i start to render in Vray i put you any question with the mesh.

It´s with your help,and others, that im starting to understand a few of Rhino and Vray.

Thank you again.

Comment

Olá Pedro

I agree with what has been said, don't worry about mesh settings until you start to render, and if you think your models need more refinement, just refine the settings.

I work a lot for precise components and I always design in mm and my mesh setting are +- like the image bellow.

Bye
          Sergio

PS: Aconselho-te a usares antes o Rhino4, tem imensas novidades e está de longe melhor em relação a operações booleanas,etc.

Comment

there is also in Rhino 4 the possibility to assign a special mesh setting on object via the object properties.

Renee

Comment

Hi all
              I have another two questions and i tried to take some pictures so that you could understand me better but my machine cant zoom the amount needed.... :'(, so i will try to explain the best i can. The watch is composed by the center (round 20mm) and the other two parts that i cant remember how to call it in english :,well the problem is that those two parts are made with 3 paralel rings that have each one 3,4 mm from plane to top and 3,5 mm x 10,5 mm on the sides. My question is about the fillets, because they have it ,but the amount is about 0.01 to 0.03 mm so im afraid that the mesh will be too hard. So, do i make those fillets or do you think it wont be noticed ?
              The second question is about the rear part of the watch, because it has some small inscriptions and i dont know it i should make it by booleans or by bump map?

PS: Sergio muito obigado pela atenção, é sempre agradável ver que estamos em todo o lado. Os meus parabens pelos renders presentes na Paraglobal pois estão muito bons.Sim o Rhino 4 deve de estar muito melhor mas de momento estou no 3...talvez mais tarde.
              Obrigado do Porto aí para Leiria cidade onde como diz o outro "já fui muito feliz".

Comment

Ol&#225; Pedro

In reply to your first question:

1-My advice is if that model is going to be used for CNC manufacturing then make most of the the radius(not all), the CNC's that I'm used to work with are very precise but 0,01 I don't make the radius because It will take a lot of time and will cause many problems if you want to change the part again. Almost all tools have a minimum radius, even flat head tools have 0,01 so the tool will make the fillet.

For bigger radius then I normally do the real radius, because then it will be noticed by the tool.

But if your problem is mesh only I don't believe you will have any problem, the below project is a part that I'm designing at the moment and is still work in progress but has many small radius and works fine.

2-will those Boolean operations be used for manufacturing?
                If so then model then, if not I would use displacement because it's faster and you can change very fast the options getting different appearances.

PS:Gostei dessa do estamos em todo o lado, quando estou fora de Portugal nada me deixa mais feliz que encontrar algum Portugu&#234;s .Costumo ir muitas vezes para o norte a clientes, mas j&#225; l&#225; diz o ditado, no meio (centro) &#233; que est&#225; a virtude.
                Quando vieres para baixo diz algo para beber-mos um caf&#233;.

Thanks
                S&#233;rgio Silva

Comment

Olá Sérgio

It´s just an hobby, i usually work with cnc's but on a scale that mm's don't have an important meaning (foams for the auto industry) so this metter with the watch is just for the eye. I think i have seen a tutorial about jewlery that talked about this aspect of the non filleted angles and that was an advise that we should fillet those angles so that the final aspect should look better.
                  About displacement are you talking about bump? I say this because i used to work in 3dMax for my renders and Max has Bump and Displacement, fact that, i don´t now if its my error, i cant see in Vray for Rhino.
                  Just curious, the renders in the site of Paraglobal (http://www.paraglobal-3d.com/)are all made with Vray and Rhino?

PS: Com muito gosto, se por acaso passar por aí terei muito gosto em comunicar com antecedência para marcarmos um café. Até lá um abraço deste colega aqui da Invicta.
                  Pedro Pinto

Comment

Hi

Most of the images in Paraglobal are done with V-ray, I not shure what images are you refering to.

Some of them are just shading.

We also work a lot automotive, for example we did part of the design and 3d scanning of the new Nissan Navara rollbar.

Regards
                    Sérgio Silva

Comment

Hi

I worked with Nissan too a few times and i remember that they usually work with Catia and there was always problems when we needed to import the iges to Autocad,Solid,etc... the only one that worked just fine was Rhino what was a surprise to my colegs that didnt even knew what was Rhino V2... ;D.
                      The image i was talking about is that one that seems to be a Bar or restaurant, i think its very, very good.
                      I tried to put here an image of the wip but it seems that i cant...sorry for that,as soon as i have more time i will search the forum to see how its done.

Regards
                      Pedro Pinto

Comment

Hi

That image was done by a friend also Rhino and V-ray reseller like Paraglobal and yes it is a VRAY image
                        He is from Chequia.

I'm also worked with CATIA for many years but for that specific part we used Rapidform because it's much more powerfull in reverse engineergin and working wir massive clouds of points.

cya
                        Sérgio Silva

Comment

Working...
                        X