Illuminated material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illuminated material

Can anyone help me out. I designed a lamp and want the material of it to be a translucent colored material, but to light up (like it would in real life, with a light source inside the lamp). I don't know how to go about doing this. If someone could help me with material options and setting up the render options to render it nicely , that would be so awesome. thanks!

Re: Illuminated material

There are two options to do this, one quick and the other a bit more intensive. The easy one is using the Vray Two-Sided Material that is in the v4 Beta. Its really simple..just make a material as you normally would for the front an another for the back. Then create a Vray 2sided material and put assign the appropriate materials for the front and back. After that adjust the grayscale color underneath to vary the transparency from the front to the back material.

The second way is to use a regular translucent material (refractive with translucency checked), but this will take more time to set up, your model has to be a solid, and will take longer to render.

If you haven't guessed it I would go with the first option, but either one will work. Post some of your tests and settings as you go. That would be a good way for users to help out and see what your doing.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Ok thanks for the reply but that kind of confused me more. I'm using the demo I downloaded from the site. Where/How do I do this two sided material. Basically what I want, is something similar to what is in the tutorials, that one ball with all the colored numbers tiled, and it's illuminated. Do you know what I'm saying? I just want it to glow like there's a bulb inside.

Comment

Well, you basically want the lamp shade, right...The material with the lighted number ball is going to be more complicated to set up and take longer to render (this is basically option number two from above).

The twosided material is easy...If your using vfr4 then go and add a new material like normal. But now there will be several options for what kind of material you would like to add, and the Vray two sided will be one of them (don't add the skp one). All you need to do is map the material for the front of the twosides and another for the back (these materials must be made outside of the twosided material). After that just adjust the color to mix between the front and back of the material for the right amount of "glow". Play around with the twosided material, I'm pretty certain that that is what your going to want.
        Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Working...
        X