problem with the highlight glossiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with the highlight glossiness

In the Reflaction layer, it's correct that if I decrease the Highlight Glossiness the Reflection became more visible (increase)?

If Yes, could you explain me why?

I'm expecting, like the reflection glossines, that the reflection follow the highlight glossy.

Thank for Help

Riccardo

PS: the manual it's very usefull, but miss the map type, like bulge, blend and other.
    PPS: I wait to buy the printed copy!

Re: problem with the highlight glossiness

Glossiness means the "roughness". Glossines 1 is a perfect polished surface and lower values cause blury reflections. You can dim the reflection with the filter color.
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Thanks Micha,
      yes I know that lowering the number will blur more the HighLight.

BUT

The problem I saw (in the material studio, but I'm sure it's the same in Rhino) it's that lowering the HighLight Glossiness increase the Reflection over the object.
      I'm expecting that the Highlight glossines work as a grey filter, isn'it?

It seems that the low level of Highlight work like a Back light reflection. It's this true?
      Could you explain why?

Thanks for reply
      Riccardo

Comment

2 example to be more clear:

THKS
        Riccardo

Comment

Skysurfer-

Yes all of these experiments are acting as they should. The highlight glossiness is a way to add a the white highlight from a light. Its not a physically correct method, but its something thats a familiar affect from other render engines. It won't actually make any of the reflections themselves glossy, only the ones traced from a light source.
          Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

...mmmm

I'm expecting that the Highlight would work as a filter for reflection... but OK now I know.

Thanks!
            Riccardo

Comment

As a Filter for reflections??

If your looking to "filter" reflections you can use the Filter color and that will basically tint the color of the reflections. Its completely mappable as well so you can tweek it how you need to get the affect your looking for. I actually use that one more than you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by Micha
                You can dim the reflection with the filter color.
                true, but it will cut the light passing to the next layer, so a better name would be absorption. Example: if you add a reflect layer (pure white, no fresnel) and add a black filter color, the diffuse layer won't be reached and you end up with a black hole.
                You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Originally posted by Gijs
                  true, but it will cut the light passing to the next layer, so a better name would be absorption. Example: if you add a reflect layer (pure white, no fresnel) and add a black filter color, the diffuse layer won't be reached and you end up with a black hole.
                  Actually thats not really how it works. Each layer has a transparency which allow the layer below it to become visable. In the cases of the emissive, diffuse, or refraction we actually have a transparency map or color. In the case of the reflection layer the reflection color is infact the transparency color. In the example above the reason why the diffuse color won't be reached is because the refraction color, which @ pure white would have no transparency, is completely blocking out the diffuse layer. It wouldn't matter whether you put anything in the filter color, the diffuse layer still would not be visable.

As far as the filter color, I believe that all the filter color does is multiply each of the rgb values by the rgb values of the color or map in the filter color. So by default all the reflection colors are multiplied by white (or 1 float for all channels), so the input reflection colors are equal to the output reflection colors. Putting in a shade of gray will effectively decrease the rgb by the amount of the color. It is possible to actually increase the reflection colors by using an Acolor map, then increasing the multiplier in the texture editor.

Comment

I think you are right with the mathematics (the multiplication)

still I want to emphasize that the filter color is not really there to dim the reflection, because that's what the reflection color itself is for. Again, if the filter color is black, you end up with a black hole. The filter color is what is left, the other colors are absorbed.

another example:
                    Suppose you would want to create a material with two reflection layers, and the top layer has a green filter color, you might think that blue and red are passed on to the next layer, which is not happening if your first layer reflection color is white.
                    You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Thanks Gijs, supporting me in this battle...

Yes I saw the Filter, and I undestood the use, but as Gijs says, I'm expecting that the Highlight Glossy work as a dimmer.

Maybe it's something to work on... not with the best priority but...

Bye, and thanks to all for the answer.
                      Riccardo

Comment

Working...
                      X