Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to obtain a map like Falloff map in 3DMax

Hy guys,
    I wonder to have a map like the Falloff map in 3DMax. (not only reflection but also Perp/parall)
    I done a fast try with Fresnel, but seems working only in reflection, and bulge seems working only with a texture channel...

Thanks for Help

Riccardo

Re: how to obtain a map like Falloff map in 3DMax

I think joe is working on getting us a falloff material, but for now you have to just play with fresnel mapping using whacky IOR values.

Comment

Another tip that you need to remember is that because of how the Fresnel works (for vfr-not in general) is that it will invert whatever color or map is inputted. So if you click the little invert button in the texture editor then it should work as expected. For colors use Acolor so you can invert it
      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

OK!
        Thanks for suggestion, I'll try!
        Riccardo

PS: yes yes, a falloff map like 3dmax, it's so usefull!

Comment

I have a couple falloff textures I wrote a little bit ago. They are very basic falloff - but with a little work we can probably get them up to par.
          Best regards,
          Joe Bacigalupa
          Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Oh...If you really need to use a Max falloff texture, then here's a crazy work around if you have max and plenty of time to burn.

So export all you geometry to max and make sure you can retain your camera information i.e. position, target and fov (I believe there was a utility on rhino's wiki to do that). Now apply whatever kind of fallof texture to whichever object you want it on. Render that out to texture (texture baking) so that you now have a texture of the falloff qualities you want. Take that texture and bring it back to Rhino. Map it to the geometry how you need it (I think using the default UVS might work) and I think you should be ready to go.

I haven't tested this because frankly I don't have 2-3 hours to burn figuring it out, but in my head it works ;D. The correct camera position is important because if you're doing a texture based on viewing angle that will need to be the same as the view in Rhino. That also means that if you want multiple views you will need to render out multiple textures, and make multiple materials. Give it a try if you really, really, really need a certain falloff texture. Thats all I got for now.

EDIT:
            Here's the camera utility that I was talking about
            http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.as...DMaxTools.html
            Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Working...
            X