Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will be direct NURBS rendering possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will be direct NURBS rendering possible?

Hi,

the last days I was fighting with meshing a PC housing - the hundreds of air holes cause, that the Rhino mesher don't get it meshed. The MOI3D beta was a big surprise, the polygon mesh creation was fast and clean done.

I ask me, doe's the Vray engine support NURBS rendering? Could be a phantastic feature for a NURBS modeler like Rhino and VfR.

Ciao,
    Micha
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Re: Will be direct NURBS rendering possible?

I don't believe it does. Maya would be the only thing that would remotely require it, and I don't think that CG has put anything together. A NURBS tessellater is not an easy or quick endeavor by any means. Chances are that we'll keep focusing on closing the gap between vfr and vfmax as opposed to working on something like that. I also don't think that we really have any one in house that would have enough expertise to be able to go about something like that. Which means that its probably going to take someone a lot of research to begin to wrap their head around it.

On another note, I saw the thread and what you were fighting with. Rhino's mesher has been getting a lot of heat on seamingly all fronts. Right now it seams like the RP guys, vis guys and the general users seam a little than pleased with it, so I hope mcNeel takes that to heart and gets a gives it an overhaul for v5. All quads would be a great option. The ability to deal with complex trims/holes (like yours was, but I've seen it over and over). More speed and the ability to use multiple cores are all needed areas of improvement.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Some infos to the mesher issue: I ask the the guys from npowersoftware for a mesher plugin and got the answer "Yes, we have been thinking about that. We have an excellent mesh generator (including Quad mesh)." and from Michael (MOI3D) I got the info, that he will try to support multicore CPUs for his MOI mesher.
      http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?...MOI&msg=1351.9

I'm curious, what the McNeel team will do.

Back to the NURBS question, I tought, it could be, it is implemented to the Vray core yet. Right, this isn't anything for the plugin teams.

Comment

I'm not sure if it would be a core thing or not. I think that we're the only ones who would have a true interest in a nurbs tesselator. Maya is the only one who would come close, and AFAIK there is still more mesh stuff being done with maya as far as visualization/animation stuff goes.

Comment

And doe's Vray support n-gons?

Comment

I actually asked Joe about that one a little while ago. Right now we are dividing quads into tris, but he said that we could modify that to support quads and ngons.

Comment

Working...
            X