Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I create stiching pattern that follow a specific path

Hi
    I d like to know how to create stiching patterns with Rhino and Vray for Rhino by following a specific path and being able to scale my stitching pattern

thanks

Alex
    www.alexandregalin.com

lexandre Galin
    <br />Industrial Designer

Re: How can I create stiching pattern that follow a specific path

I think the most reliable way to do that, is to make a separate surface with sweep2 that has approximately the width of the stitch, and float this surface on top of the model, then apply a diffuse with transparency map and bump map to the surface. Since the sweep2 has its own surface UV coordinates, it should be easy to get the mapping correctly placed
    You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Hi

Yeah I thought of something similar. It s just that I experimented with Cinema4D in Subdivs and I rally like the fact that I can select specific polys and simlpy apply the stitching material onto it. It then follows exactly the path and it s easy to scale.
      Hopefully in the future there ll be a simpler solution.

Thanks

Alex
      www.alexandregalin.com
      lexandre Galin

Comment

Good question, maybe a Rhino plugin could create a stitch pattern pipe along curves.

I tested a displacement pattern on a flat surface placed behind the main surface. Not perfect, but maybe somebody have an idea to refine the method.

Material:

http://www.simulacrum.de/download/St...tchpattern.zip
        www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

looks good Micha, clever!
          You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Or model the stitches...Flow along a curve is a very helpful command for this one...very WIP
            Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Nice work Damian
              How did you do that exactly ?
              My only concern is that if I have a bunch of seats it will increase the polygon count
              I realise that if it s not a close up view it s not even usefull to show the stitches but I ve seen some neet rendering with seats using nice thick leather seatching therefore it has to be visible and they re bump mapped .

Alex

lexandre Galin

Comment

I did that about 3-4 months ago, so I don't exactly recall. Looking back on the file, it looked as though I laid out the stitches with the rest of the band, grabbed all of it, and used flow along curve.

You're concerns about polys are valid, so I think displacement maybe the best way to go, but I have a interesting way to go about it. Essentially, this is more along the lines of Micha's method, but you are going to be creating the maps yourself, so that you have more control over the stitching. Just model the stitches (which can be as simple as piping some curves), add a z-depth map, set the depths to the min/max, render out (normal to the plane the stitches were made on) and save the zdepth channel and alpha. Then remap those to a plane/surface and you're good to go.

Below is a quick example...I can give you more info if you want...in the first image, the stitch on the left is the original and the one on the right is the one via maps

Comment

Wow
                  i must say it s really looking promising
                  thanks again man
                  lexandre Galin

Comment

you can also use -testshowzbuffer command in Rhino to render out the depth map. Make sure though that you are in top view rendered viewport, without wires showing. Instant result and no need to fiddle with camera x-depth settings.

Comment

forgot about that one...thats probably much better than the Zdepth channels because the viewing frustums are automatically adjusted to the limits of the scene based on your viewing angle

to add, you might want to use that in conjunction with TestSetAALevel to get a smoother result. Make sure you set the AA level back to none or something low, as this can considerable slow down working with your model.

As always, use Test commands with care. They are "hidden" because some of them can cause crashes. These two are pretty stable (I use testsetaalevel quite a lot), but make sure to save your model the first time you use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gijs
                        you can also use -testshowzbuffer command in Rhino to render out the depth map. Make sure though that you are in top view rendered viewport, without wires showing. Instant result and no need to fiddle with camera x-depth settings.
                        Could be set on the wishlist for VfR and the z-depth output too.

Comment

Today a short test - textured very thin pipe with displacement and transparency controlled by this map:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/MichaX/Naht01.png

OK, it dosn't show a big effect, but maybe good for basic use.

Comment

Working...
                          X