AHHHHHH vray GRRRR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHHHHHH vray GRRRR

Ok so ignore the crazy title but i am soooooo frustrated. I havnt had Vray for long but have used many renderer's in the past. #1 the only lighting that works is the skylight. The rhino lights do not work in vray and there is no option to insert lights from vray into rhino other than the sun. Im sure there is a way to do this because it looks like everyone else is. Now trying to add the sun makes 2 main lights that compete against each other and dissabling the skylight only makes a dark and orange/UGLY colored model with no Global Illumination which i cant have. So I try to add an environment to hopefully give it some color and light but NOOOOO. It does absolutely nothing and leaves a black background that reflects black glass and makes everything dark. Sure, i can make a beautiful daytime exterior render of a building or some cool cell phone with the default settings but what about night time shots or interiors. Im lost here. Can someone help me?
    John Harvey<br />Intern Architect<br />Digital Design and Fabrication<br />http://jrharveyarchportfolio.blogspot.com/

Re: AHHHHHH vray GRRRR

Try to calm down...all will be better sooon...

You've basically gotten trapped by the default settings, so there are a few quick steps to get things back to normal.

1. Go to the Global Switches rollout and disable Default Lights
    2. Go to the Camera rollout and disable the Physical Camera
    3. Go to the Environment rollout, click on the M in GI and Background and change the Type from sky to None.

Now let me explain a little bit about these settings and why they are causing so much havoc. The V-Ray Sun is on by default (as you've noticed) and because of that tthe Physical Camera has to be used to properly expose the brightness of the sun. This throws causes the whole system to react much differently then you'd probably expect as higher intensities are required to appear in a rendering. Lights will not be bright enough by default to show up in renderings and may require high multipliers to show up. Adding HDRs for lighting or background will typically require high multipliers, and Emissive materials will require very high multipliers as well. Getting rid of the sun and physical camera returns things back to normal.

So that should get you on course. I recommend you download and work through the manual that we have available in our downloads section. It explains a lot of things and will help you begin working with v-ray. Post if you have any more problems
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Ok, thank you. You are right, once i dissable all the defaults it works just like it should. Lights, environment mapping and all that jazz. 1 last question though. Even though i turned off everything there is still a light source that cast NO shadows but eluminates the scene. i wish i could show you a pic but i cant figure out how to post one on this forum.
      John Harvey<br />Intern Architect<br />Digital Design and Fabrication<br />http://jrharveyarchportfolio.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ok i figured it out. This helps sooooooo much.

Comment

Working...
        X