Back plate / background image in VfR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back plate / background image in VfR?

I don't know if many people have used Hypershot, but right now I'm really jonesing for its ability to overlay the rendered object on top of a background hdri, or general image. I've seen gallery images with similar effect, so I'm assuming it's a half hidden checkbox somewhere that I'm missing.

Thanks

Re: Back plate / background image in VfR?

No its just a little post work. There's no support for having an image simply placed in the background. V-Ray likes to map the background as an environment, which is not the same thing. Doing this is pretty simple though...just render your image with the alpha channel enabled (which is on by default), then save with a format that supports alphas (png, tga, hdr, exr). After that, just take it into PS and drop the image that you want behind the rendering.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

... and the shadows?

Vlado told me one year befor, that camera projection is available at the SDK.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...mapping&page=3

This would help a lot for shadows, refraction and reflection.

A little helper can be found at the render tool collection thread. Also, you can use the environment mapping and very highres 360° HDRIs.

And yes, the Hypershot team doe's a great job, the workflow is phantastic (only the engine is to limited for my use ). From my experience, the workflow is theoretical possible at VfR too, but ... first a camera projection per Vray mapping could be a first little step.
      www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

the Hypershot product does certain things very well - especially the trick environments. It is happiest with Wavefront files. But lighting it cannot really cope with - and no Bongo support.

But at just the right time DR appears to offset the speed benefit.

Yet - its still a little flaky - is there a tool to interrogate the state of each 'slave'? Whilst some 185MB files work fine - others don't.

We recently upgraded to an overclocked @Xi 8 core - and that is stunning performance with DR.

The Panowalker application (or similar) used in the recent Cathay airlines work shows VRay well (i think here with Max).

Glenn

http://www.cathaypacific.aero/index_en.html

Comment

Originally posted by Micha
          ... and the shadows?

Vlado told me one year befor, that camera projection is available at the SDK.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...mapping&page=3

This would help a lot for shadows, refraction and reflection.
          hi Micha
          that is one of my biggest problem the shadow on the backplateimage
          could you share a screenshot setup of your mini on the road or in the supermarket because when I do that my background image gets very distorted and the shadow is bad..
          I don't understand David Rutten's script and what it does.. seems I have to mesh my surface, then do I apply a texture or do I apply a material..
          thanks in advance

Comment

Road and Airport - I used a textured diffuse material and the environment mapping type of the vray material. This setup is a little bit tricky, not ready to share.

David Ruttens Script - create a soft studio ground-background (like image (1) or (46) at my gallery) -> create a mesh from it -> go to your perspektive viewport for rendering -> use David's script. Davids script change the UV coordinates of the mesh, so that the UV coordinates match the viewport.
            www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

thanks I will give it a try ;D

Comment

Working...
              X