Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool plug-in to fake edge fillets : won't work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool plug-in to fake edge fillets : won't work?

There is a new plug-in that is called "Edge Softening" listed on the Rhino Wiki that got me excited, but its not working for me.

If I can get it to work, it will "fake fillets on every object selected, but only at render time." How cool is that? Check out the details at
    http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.as...Softening.html

I see a requirement that states "...fakes small filleted edges in RDK compliant renderers."

Does V-ray qualify as a RDK compliant ? If it is, what else do I need to be doing?

Re: Cool plug-in to fake edge fillets : won't work?

At the moment V-Ray is not RDK compliant because RDK is still a beta product. The plugin will work with V-Ray install, so you don't have to worry about any conflicts that way. In order to actually use it with V-Ray you'll have to extract the softened meshes by using the ExtractSoftenedEdgeMesh command.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Aha! Good work-around

Thank you. I will try that and post the results in the near future.

Any idea when the RDK will be out of beta -- and this step will not be necessary???

Comment

RDK probably won't be completely out of beta until v5 where it becomes a full part of the Rhino SDK. Andy has promised that any future builds will not break RDK, in terms of connecting to it (this was the issue before), but there is still the possibility for certain functionalities to change.

Comment

It's working pretty well for me. Is there anyway to control the mesh generation with the extract soft edges tool?

Comment

It seems to be just the tool I am looking for. For a visualization in progress I have imported a manufacturer's model of a bathroom sink, but a rendering of the mesh model turns out all faceted. To my knowledge there is in Rhino or VfR no face smoothing option like the kind you find in 3Dmax, so this would come in very handy

But I can only make it work using the SoftenMeshEdges command, which does change the mesh model adding a considerable amount of faces. I can't seem to find the Edge Softening options in the object properties rollout, where it should be.

Others are experiencing similar problems, it seems: http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnew...m=290286&utag=

Might it be a compatibility issue between VfR and RDK?

Edit: Actually it does work when I try to use it on a simple box, but there is no Edge Softening option in the properties rollout when I try it on a mesh.

Comment

I believe that edge softening needs nurbs not meshes. Also if you mesh looks faceted, then it may not have its verticies welded or may not have proper normals.

Comment

Originally posted by Boye
                It seems to be just the tool I am looking for. For a visualization in progress I have imported a manufacturer's model of a bathroom sink, but a rendering of the mesh model turns out all faceted. To my knowledge there is in Rhino or VfR no face smoothing option like the kind you find in 3Dmax, so this would come in very handy
                Hi Boye, i think the EdgeSoftening plugin cannot help you with your problem, try to play with _Weld / _Unweld command with an angle of 60°, if doesn't work use _WeldVertices first.

Hope this help.

EDIT: Damien was fast...

Comment

I'm always fast....I've got fingers of fury ;D oh and I'm actually off today...beat that Dolly ;D

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
                    I'm always fast....I've got fingers of fury ;D oh and I'm actually off today...beat that Dolly ;D
                    ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
                      I believe that edge softening needs nurbs not meshes. Also if you mesh looks faceted, then it may not have its verticies welded or may not have proper normals.
                      Quick and good answers - I like that! ;D Thanks to both of you.

Comment

Working...
                      X