Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rendering glass

hello all,

i am having some issues rendering glass. the environment is very basic. the only thing in the background is a background that curves into the floor.

-GI is turned on, white
    -white background
    -white backdrop

below is the first render with no added lights, just GI. i am trying to remove the shadows.

so then i try to add a light behind the object to counteract the shadow but it clearly does not help.

can anyone tell me how to deal with this?

also, is it true that to render glass properly, your model has to have fillets around all the edges? i was told that having non-treated / sharp edges will not give you proper glass renders.

NO ADDED LIGHTS, JUST GI:

WITH 1 rectangle light added to try remove shadow:

Re: rendering glass

correction:

i discovered the shadows checkbox in the GI environment dialogue box and unchecking that will remove shadows.

also, my lightbox is facing the wrong direction.

so that solves my initial issues. if anyone has any advise on the best methods for illuminating glass, im all ears. right now im just putting light boxes in random places and all the results are ok, you see the glass and outline decently, but i know there has to be a better way.

thanks!

Comment

Hi, attached a simple glass 3d scene. I used the Aversis glass tutorial to do this scene, so the credits is to him.
      You have to increase the Max Depth on Global Switches to avoid the gray odd color on the inside part of the glass.

Best

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e...db6fb9a8902bda

Comment

Thanks for the glass scene, there's some interesting settings in there and it seems to work a treat! quite quick too.

Comment

thanks! can't wait to get working on it.

much appreciated ;D

Comment

Is it a water pipe, a bong?
            www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

fpedrogo...

when i try to open the simpleglass file, i get an error message that says "failed to deserialize vrayforrhinorectanglelight"

the file proceeds to open, but the perspective view is missing.

does anyone know what this is about?

im running rhino 4, sr4b

thanks

Comment

also, im looking over the settings, and its quite simple indeed.

1. i noticed that the physical camera was off, is this good or bad? what are the advantages to having the physical camera if having it off gives good results?

2. why are there no shadows?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dzplay
                  i get an error message that says "failed to deserialize vrayforrhinorectanglelight"
                  This is probably due to not having the most updated version of V-Ray. If you go to about you can see the version number. Right now we're on 1.05.04.

1. Don't worry about the physical camera. In this situation there's no need for it. The advantages to the physical camera deal with controlling exposure and that really only applies when physically based lighting is used like the V-Ray Sun and Sky.

2. Those lights are quite large, so the shadows are very blurry. Combine that with a good amount of fill lighting and your shadows practically disappear. Remove a light from one side and you'll probably see what I'm talking about.
                  Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

dalomar,

you are the man, that cleared up a log.

however, isn't there only 1 light? its large enough, so i can see where the shadows are blurred out.

lastly, what do you mean by "fill lighting"?

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X