Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino-Vray rendering server

hello everybody,

at my work we decide to use rhino vray instead of flamingo in a few weeks.

We hired a new designer only for vray renderings and my task is to find an optimal workstation for him.

At first we thought about a quadcore with QuadroFX5xxx and so on ..
    But then i got the idea to buy a rendering server (dual xeon quadcore) and a "normal" PC for the new designer.
    Advantage of this solution is, that everybody of our studio can use the rendering server for vray and we can save much time (i hope).

Has anybody experience with Dual Xeon Quad rendering servers ? Or are there any benchmarks??

I tested this solution with normal PCs..

is it possible, that the working PC send the whole process to the server ? I mean, that the designer can work on while rendering his picture on the server.. that would be really great !

for information..
    we are a yachtdesign studio and need the server for many renderings in the interior and exterior areas.

thanks for answers

Re: Rhino-Vray rendering server

at my work we decide to use rhino vray instead of flamingo in a few weeks.
    Good for render speed and quality.

We hired a new designer only for vray renderings and my task is to find an optimal workstation for him.
    He has experience with rendering and Vray? You could ask him, what he like.

At first we thought about a quadcore with QuadroFX5xxx and so on ..
    But then i got the idea to buy a rendering server (dual xeon quadcore) and a "normal" PC for the new designer.
    Advantage of this solution is, that everybody of our studio can use the rendering server for vray and we can save much time (i hope).
    If you render yachts still images, than a small render farm based QuadCore could be a good solution. Dual Xeon machines are quite expensive and you get for the same price a small render farm. The render farm computers can be very simple - mainboard with integrated GPU ...
    A Dual Xeon is good for rendering animation, with short render times per frame. If the render time per frame is short, than DR don't bring the full speed up, because the communication time and a multi processor PC bring the full power. If render times are around a few minutes, than DR is quite good, a Dual Xeon isn't needed.

is it possible, that the working PC send the whole process to the server ? I mean, that the designer can work on while rendering his picture on the server.. that would be really great !
    No. So it would be better, you start Rhino and rendering at the other machine than the working machine. But you can set Rhino at low priority, so that working and rendering at the same machine should be possible. Render times will not be much longer.

My hint for the working computer - a 64bit OS like XP64 and more than 4GB RAM.

www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Working...
    X