Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Render Settings and Crazy Long Render Times.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render Settings and Crazy Long Render Times.

I had begun discussion on this in the gallery section of the forums, but I think it might be better suited here. I'm as new to Vray as they come and so far love it. I'm experiencing INCREDIBLY high render times (between 3 and 4 hours!)though and since I'm completely self taught I don't know much about the settings to use to achieve maximum results in minimal time. I've posted all of my settings here. Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Here is the scene I'm working on. It's just a product shot of the sink so the geometry and lighting is very simple. There are only two rectangular lights in a studio setting.

All the help I can get is GREATLY appreciated. I'm so new to Vray I really have no idea what most of these options mean let alone what they do. Many thanks in advance!

Re: Render Settings and Crazy Long Render Times.

DMC Sampler -> subdiv multiplier: this option multiplies all subdivs setting everwhere. Best set it 1 and never increase it, only decrease for fast previews could be ok, but I never touch it and use the noise threshold.

Also one reason for mysterious slow downs - doublicated object at the scene. Most this slow down is seen, if doublicated transparent objects share the same place at the scene.
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

That worked great Micha, thank you! It dropped the time down to 1h 6m essentially cutting the time by approx. 66% and reducing the subdivs multiplier to 1 didn't sacrifice any quality either.! Over an hour is still a good amount of time as far as I can tell though so are there any other ideas? Also, I've double checked and there are no double objects anywhere so the duplicate transparency issue doesn't apply here.

Comment

Adjusted the DOF subdivision to 1 as well and cut the time in half yet again to 32 minutes. I'm still hungry for more though!

Comment

OK ..

* set at global switch max depth at 2 or 3, should be enough
          * set both noise threshholds at the sampler at 0.015 (or 0.02)
          * disable distributated rendering, if you don't use it (I'm not sure this helps for speed)
          * disable default light (not for speed, but for better look)
          * set secondary engine 0.8 at Indirect Illumination (look at the starterkit infos)
          * use rectangular lights with light option "store with irradiance map" instead other light types

* maybe you leave the image sampler adaptive DMC and play with adaptive subdivision, but I have no experience with it, because it could cause detail lost at textures

Comment

Fantastic! Thanks for all the help Micha. It's down to 14 minutes. Very acceptable. I zoomed out in the frame and did a render of the cabinet that the sink is on as well and the time was only at 6 minutes. I guess that the increased time frame between the two has a lot to do with the material of the sink with the reflection processing times. Thanks again for all the help. I'd buy you a drink if I could.

I'm looking forward to learning more and more about this program. I'm constantly astounded by it.

Comment

Comment

This it's very refreshing....thanks Micha!

Comment

Working...
                X