Best OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best OS

I'm using winxp 32bits for a long time, but now my work requires more ram than usual, so i'm going to switch my os but dont know if to migrate to windows vista ultimate 64 bits or to winxp 64 bits, the problem is that im in the new intel nehalem mac pro with 2.66 quad core processors, and 8gb of ram, and i want to take the most of it with the bootcamp drivers. this is for VFR use and VFM too.

thanks a lot, you can give me example or your system configuration to have an idea.
    www.leobonilla.com

Re: Best OS

I'm still partial to XP rather than Vista, but I'm also incredibly particular about certain things. One of the reasons I like XP better is because of the high memory usage of Vista, but on a system with 8 gigs of memory that may not mean that much. Rhino itself is fairly tame on vista, but I'm not sure about Max. You may want to see if you can "test drive" Max on vista before committing to one over the other.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

I'm a fan of XP64 - light, stable and fast. I'm curious for Windows 7 (64), this could be my next OS.
      If I would install a fresh XP64, than I would use nlite to get it so light as possible.
      www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Windows 7 does look interesting...I was disappointed I missed the public beta. I'm not sure what you're talking about with nLite. I've used it for making custom install discs with drivers and things...I didn't know that it could make an os "lighter"

Comment

I run Vista Ultimate 64 on a 1st gen Mac Pro and I have had no problems. I wasn't able to take advantage of some of the bootcamp drivers since my machine is technically too old and not supported for some of them, but it hasn't really been a problem. (I can't use my keyboard eject key for that 1 time a month that I need to insert a CD.)

They may have fixed it now, but the whole reason I upgraded was bootcamp would only address 2gbs of ram with XP even when I had 8 installed. Now Rhino can use its full 3gbs and is much happier in Vista. Max of course has no problems eating up all the ram it can and it has been working very well with the 8gbs and Vista. Autodesk seems committed to Vista and their annual updates seem to be working well with it.

McNeel just announced Rhino Beta 5 in 64 bit so in another year we should have VFR and a full 64 bit Rhino chomping up all the ram you can jam into your machine.

Comment

Hi Damien, last I read here
            http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/v...ic.php?t=29711
            that nLite let run XP faster and with less usage of memory.

An other question - the Rhino 5 64bit version is available for testing - can we expect a 64bit version of the last official release in the near future?
            www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Most likely not. Too much has changed (practically everything actually) to go back to those old back to those builds and try to make switch libraries. Once wips start coming out for VfR2 those will be made for 64 bit. I'll ask Joe, but I doubt that he'll be up for digging through old projects.

Comment

Do you guys have any idea when the vray wip start rolling? are they months away?

Comment

At least 3 months probably.

Comment

its just good to know, that way I aint expecting anything.

What you guys think of rhino 5 wip is it safe to use vray with it?

Comment

Working...
                    X