Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaded mode changes to rendered mode when applying materials

Hi,

since the last update, shaded mode changes to rendered mode when applying materials. This is quite annoying when working on larger files. Is it possible to turn this off?

Best
    Ivar Heggheim

I agree! This is a big irritation with SP1.
    Even if you're in wireframe mode you click on a material and suddenly your viewport changes.
    Id' also like to know where this can be disabled. Michael VS

Comment

Originally posted by MvyessSA View Post
      I agree! This is a big irritation with SP1.
      Even if you're in wireframe mode you click on a material and suddenly your viewport changes.
      Id' also like to know where this can be disabled. Michael VS
      I am unaware of this behavior, and unable to duplicate. Can you provide the needed steps/file to duplicate this issue?

Thank you,

Matthew Newberg

V-Ray For Rhino Developer
      Best regards,
      Matt Newberg
      Software Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Hello Matthew
        I was just able to repeat it with a blank new file.
        When you click the Materials Diffuse Colour, choose a colour, and when you press ok the viewport changes to rendered.
        Steps:
        New File, Make a solid, Open Materials, Create new Std material, Assign it to the solid, Change the Diffuse colour,select colour, click OK and Viewport change.
        IMPORTANT:
        I tried a few things now and figured out that clicking ok on the material colour only changes the viewport to Rendered mode if your current viewport is set to a non-standard mode.
        If the current viewport is on the Rhino Standard modes like Wireframe, Shaded or Ghosted or even a variant of shaded with thicker lines, then the viewport stays as it is, BUT if you are viewing the part using a custom viewport view mode then the material OK button changes it to Rendered Viewmode every time.
        I use a non-std viewport mode alot for setting up render angles. My most used viewport mode has custom lights, no isocurves, black edge curves and render materials, not layer material.
        EDIT: - Done some more tests and it seems that any custom viewmode which has the:
        Color and Material Usage option set to Rendering Material, causes the viewport to switch to the standard Rhino Rendered View mode as soon as you click the Vray Materials Diffuse colour selection OK button.
        eg. So I would be using my viewport mode with Rendering Materials shown to setup my render angle, and then by modifying the material colour properties, the viewport changes to std render mode.
        EDIT2: Ok, it seems as if any changes to the material properties like diffuse colour or transparency colour trigger the viewport change, but it always changes upon pressing the OK button.
        Michael VS
        Last edited by MvyessSA; 03-11-2014, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ivarheggheim View Post
          since the last update, shaded mode changes to rendered mode when applying materials. This is quite annoying when working on larger files. Is it possible to turn this off?
          Last I was working on a large file in rendered display mode and every time I changed a material the display mode switched to wire frame mode for a second. This cause a freeze for a few seconds and it was quite difficult to work.
          www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

I have a same event of it, which is to change shade mode to rendering mode when I am using material editor...! (file size over 100mb)

Comment

when can you fix this problem?

Comment

when can you fix it? There is a big problem on Vfr 2, when I edit large file.

Comment

Thought I was the only one experiencing this incredibly annoying behavior.

Wow - almost a year since this has been addressed. Maybe with 3.0 <kicks the ground>

Comment

We manually change the display mode from Rendered to Wireframe and back again to force a texture update in Rhino. It is an issue in Rhino, and hopefully we can get it resolved in Rhino 6.
                    Best regards,
                    Matt Newberg
                    Software Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Thanks Matt-

Good to know - I'll update my comment:

Maybe this will be addressed in 6.0 <kicks the ground>

Comment

Originally posted by mnewberg View Post
                        We manually change the display mode from Rendered to Wireframe and back again to force a texture update in Rhino.
                        I'm confused, if the plugin change the viewport mode, how can this be a Rhino issue? I'm pretty sure something similar to RefreshAllTextures could be used...

Comment

Originally posted by ALTO View Post
                          I'm confused, if the plugin change the viewport mode, how can this be a Rhino issue? I'm pretty sure something similar to RefreshAllTextures could be used...
                          http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/force-...es-cache/23291

Last I checked RefreshAllTextures was not working correctly, even if it was possible to call the command from our EventWatcher.
                          Best regards,
                          Matt Newberg
                          Software Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                          X