Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grasshopper Example Scene or tutorials

Hi,

Although I've been reading the help documentation, sometimes I feel a bit lost trying to do some basic things.
    Apparently using GH with V-Ray can replace lots of cases that were only possible with Bongo.

I think that many users would appreciate some 3dm + gh examples for basic scenes and animation.

Video tutorials for cases like:
    Animating how to rotate or move objects and control the speed of motion could be excellent.
    Animating the change of a definition with sliders.
    How the Vray Graph works can be helpful to see the potential and way to control it.
    Is it possible to animate materials?

I would appreciate some feedback from other users and the development team.

Thanks,
    Joaquín
    Joaquín Laborda - www.trumdesign.com

Hi Joaquín, I find myself in the same boat as you. I have a reasonable amount of exprerience in grasshopper, but have still found the information available about Vray (and animation specifically) extremely limited.

There are a few videos in Chaos docs (see link below) which helped me to get started.

Once I've got my head around things I'd be happy to post a round up of what I've learned but I'm afraid it might just get lost in this forum - What about a software specific Vray for Rhino Tutorial & Tips section in the forum ChaosGroup - rather than just the one in Chaos Common?
    Last edited by paul-twoatsix; 15-09-2021, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Paul, thanks for the answer, it was so helpful!
      I already found some of these videos, but not all of them on the youtube channel.
      A special section would be ideal, but considering the time I'm waiting for an answer, I wouldn't expect too much.

Comment

Hi laborda,

I think the V-Ray animation in GH is quite straightforward. You don't need any special knowledge - basically you use the current frame as an input parameter to any other GH component. That's it.
        for example if you want to rotate an object 90 deg in 100 frames, you place a rotation component, specify the rotation axis, and then slot the "fraction" output from the animation component to the angle input of the rotation component. Then apply an expression angle = fraction * 90
        "fraction" is just a value from 0 to 1, representing the current frame position within the entire animation length. You can remap your value using various GH math components, to suit your needs. V-Ray also have a Graph component, that can be used to map the fraction output to any other value, as per needs - much like in 3ds max.

After plugging it all to the renderer, it will render the entire definition once for each frame. There aren't any keyframes (for now) basically you consider your definition a new definition for each frame, where you must calculate the changes yourself, based on the current frame.
        Here I'm attaching a simple setup, with a cube that moves along Y axis and rotates to 90deg and back for the 50% of the time.

Once you start thinking on per-frame basis, you then just apply your imagination and a little bit of math
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Nikolay! this is really helpful.

Comment

Hi guys,

Let me link you to one more resource - a video I recorded back in the day showing many of the common workflows available in V-Ray for Grasshopper.
            It is recorded in V-Ray Next but most workflows still apply.
            The animation workflow is actually more powerful now with the introduction of the V-Ray Graph component.

Here it is:

Konstantin

Comment

Working...
            X