Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish: "global" tri planar mapping for objects/materials

Hi,

I load a stone material from the material library and it's using a lot of maps at several slots. I would like to use a triplanar mapping. It's cumbersome to apply it to every mapping slot. I think, there should be one global V-Ray mapping option for a material and/or object. So, like I can set an object based box mapping per Rhino options. What do you think? Sounds like a useful basic thing or?

Could a mapping widget not be added to the geometric modifier tab?

Best-
    Micha
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Hi Micha​,

What you've described makes a lot of sense and is something I've thought about in the past.
    The simplest way for doing this would be to allow something you can do in 3ds Max - Using a Tri-planar texture as a mapping source (similar to the randomizer):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	192
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	1169588

Another, more sophisticated option would be to introduce Material Mapping of some sort with support for Tri-planar.

Regards,
    Konstantin

Comment

I'm glad that you like the idea and the mapping source way sounds good.

An other raw idea. Often, if use Triplanar, than I set a Rhino box mapping in the same size to get the right viewport preview. It would be great if the Rhino box mapping could be internal connected to the triplanar mapping. So, the Rhino rendered viewport and the V-Ray rendering could use the same projection size and perfect match. Maybe the triplanar mapping could get a flag option "based on Rhino mapping". Doe's triplanar support independent x/y/z sizes?

Name:	Screen Shot 01-09-23 at 01.40 PM 001.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1169600

Name:	Screen Shot 01-09-23 at 01.40 PM.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1169601

Comment

Hi there!
        All thumbs up for this suggestion! I have already thought about this loudly two years ago and I am still hoping for it to make it! https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...lanar-material

Toni

Comment

In the last time often if I used triplanar mapping I missed a visual feedback at the rendered Rhino display. For example if I need to manipulate the rotation of the axes x,y,z. It would be very helpful if there would be a connection between V-Ray triplanar and Rhino box mapping. I would like to avoid to use use the interactive rendering because often I have large complex interiors and starting/cleaning the IR needs to much time.

Comment

Working...
          X