Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement used together with scatter

Hi,

In the latest version of Vray for Rhino, displacement has been promoted into a geometry asset and the one slot left inside the material is referred to as "legacy attribute" that will be removed.
    I wonder why was this decision made and how is that an improvement? This obviously means, that if I save my material, displacement will not be included.

But my biggest issue is, that one can only apply one geometry asset per object. So for example I have a surface, mapped as a desert, using displacement for terrain, I cannot use scatter to distribute rocks or plants on the surface.
    For now, I am trying to use two surfaces closely above each other, the upper one with displacement, lower one with scatter. But of course it is not ideal and cause a lot of imperfections that have to be fixed in postproduction.

So I guess my wish is to include displacement inside the material or at least allow two different geometry assets per object.

Thank you

Totally agree! A workaround could be to duplicate the surface at the exact same location and then within the vray properties in the rhino properties tab uncheck the visible box for the scatter host surface. Haven't tested this but should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Val the Sinarb View Post
      Hi,
      I wonder why was this decision made and how is that an improvement? This obviously means, that if I save my material, displacement will not be included.
      I think like you. A material based displacement is useful like an object based, I see no reason why material based displacement should be removed. It would be bad to have materials without displacement, for example a gravel material is perfect with displacement in the material.

www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Same here!

Comment

Working...
        X