Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Bit png support

Hello ASGVIS Team,

I just realized that when saving as *.png file, the picture is only created in 8 bit mode, I thing that this applies for the other formats as well, exept from HDR.

Since I do a lot of stuff in post, 16 Bit would be a far better option.

best regards

Andy

16 Bit png support

... does anyone agree? I think this is quite relevant...

Comment

16 Bit png support

If I need more than 8 bit, than I use the hdr format. The advantage of the png could be the integrated alpha chanal or?
      www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

16 Bit png support

Hello Micha,

well I am not so fond of HDRs, since they do not look close to what you adjusted in the VRFB , at least when I open them in PS (they look very washed out, I always have to adjust gamma to something like 2 when going down to 16 bit to add enough contrast) ... for everyday work I still prefer 16 bit png files.

Andy

Comment

16 Bit png support

VCube,

Have you tried using the SRGB button on the VFB? This will most likely give you the same difference that you are finding when opening an HDR in Photoshop. If using HDR or Linear Workflow sRGB should be enabled to preview your images better.

Best regards,

Corey
          Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
          Director

Chaos Group

Comment

16 Bit png support

hello Corey,

thanks for the hint, so I would turn on srgb, (what does this stand for by the way?) tune the image in the VRFB until it looks ok and then save as HDR...

OK, I will try...

Andy

Comment

16 Bit png support

Hi there,

i often use hdr shop wich is quite usefull also to play with, for gamma correction...

Comment

16 Bit png support

Originally posted by crubadue
                VCube,

Have you tried using the SRGB button on the VFB? This will most likely give you the same difference that you are finding when opening an HDR in Photoshop. If using HDR or Linear Workflow sRGB should be enabled to preview your images better.

Best regards,

Corey
                To use linear workflow, you'll need gamma correction for the color selectors and material preview too. Otherwise it is very difficult to edit materials.
                Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

z-buffer

16-bit png is also essential if you want to apply a dof filter in post such as in photoshop or combustion. 8-bit doesn't have enough range, and having to work with hdr is a schlep because it isn't supported by many programs.

Comment

16 Bit png support

what is more important is png compression
                    also is there a bug with srgb mode and saving

Comment

16 Bit png support

I think that there is a thing were it doesn't save the srgb output. This might only be with autosaving though. Either way its not that much of a thing for two reasons. First is that if you know enought to be using the srgb button then you should probably switch to a completely linear workflow. It will yeild better more consistant results than using the srgb button. Look at Gjis' User tutorial if you haven't already, it explains the whole thing. Secondly you could just take it into a post processing program and edit the gamma value of the image from there.
                      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Working...
                      X