Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Materials Library? - How could we do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials Library? - How could we do it?

I know this has been touched on before, but here's a thought (and it's just a thought!).

Could we set up a materials library download section that users would have the ability to add to? I'm not suggesting that users can upload, but that they can submit a material for approval - if approved it could be uploaded.

I've seen systems before where users can upload to a material library and it quickly becomes very messy with poorly constructed and duplicate materials. It is important that users have confidence in the materials properties when assigning to an object eg. the right IOR value for Polycarbonate etc. - this will aid work flow.

I think I've read on the forum that there will be a more comprehensive materials library in the fully released version, but I was just thinking how we could we help in it's construction (especially as there is so few hours in the days for the developers!! )

As I say, just a thought?

I would really like to see this implemented in some form. It would even just help me to develop my own materials if I had something to start from, so I'm not as worried about accuracy and duplicates.

Thanks,
    Craig

Comment

Yes we have touched on this before, and it is a good idea. Right now things are a bit hectic around here but as soon as the waters calm a bit I'm sure we can figure a way to handle this sort of thing.
      Best regards,
      Joe Bacigalupa
      Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Hi joeb
        I thought that might be the case?! - I just thought that if we could help in creating some of the materials that it might take some pressure off your side??! - But if I read it again, it may have created more!!

So I'll hold fire and look forward to the next release??

In the short term, does anyone know of a website where I could get accurate IOR figures for different materials from??? - I'm thinking mainly plastics?!

Comment

You are aware of the small set of materials that do ship currently with our releases right? I know there aren't as many as would be nice - but I just want to make sure you do know about them. They can be found at Program Files/Rhinoceros 3.0/Plugins/VRayForRhino/Materials

We'll see about setting up a place for people to upload their materials to share with users. I'm sure that won't be a big issue - its just a matter of having the time to set it all up.
          Best regards,
          Joe Bacigalupa
          Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Hi joeb, Yep - I've been using those materials as the basis for some of my own - I'll await developments??! Cheers

Comment

if I?m not wrong, so hasn?t this place been created yet, has it?
              This would be a great thing. I?m having problems finding the right settings for a material whitch doesn?t exist in the libary. Having some more materials and settings to understand better how it works would be great.
              cheers

Comment

Hi abhikaam - I don't think it's up and running yet?! - I think joeb will be looking into it in the coming few weeks/months?!

Comment

Could we just have a crude library right here to start off? Is there a way to attach a vismat file to a forum post? And maybe you attach an image of the material in use.

Some of you forum gurus must know an easy way!

Comment

Ok - if anyone wants to upload some materials they can do so at the following location... ftp://ftp.asgvis.com/pub/vismats

For now I'll just upload the materials that ship with VfR already
                    Best regards,
                    Joe Bacigalupa
                    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

that was a very fast reaction...
                      I?m deep impressed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by abhikaam
                        that was a very fast reaction...
                        I?m deep impressed!!!
                        Heh, it should have been done a while ago I've arranged them into two folders - Standard (the ones that ship with VfR ) and User Uploaded (which is currently empty- but I put some folders in for sorting)
                        Best regards,
                        Joe Bacigalupa
                        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Perfect!

Comment

Thanks joeb - just a suggestion but we should try to stick to a naming system??? I've done this before and it can get into a mess very quickly!!!!!

As a starter, and building on the standard ones, how about:

material colour_material finish.vismat

eg

In plastics

grey_dark_vgloss
                            grey_midblue_lightspark
                            yellow_bright_matt

In metals

aluminium_greydark_lightspark
                            aluminium_bluehint_highgloss

etc

Just a thought - what do people think???

Comment

I think that's a good enough system for now. It might get messy, but we'll save our favorites and dump the rest. We can always re-organize.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X