Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My most missed features

Hallo,

the next SR is near and I think, my wishlist is so long, that I will try to make a small list of most missed features that I miss every day with some comments. I belive, this features would improve the work very much.

+ ... to resize the progress window

-> this window makes me crazy: I want to see the infos and the bar, but the window is so big. A on/off command that can be assigned to a button could help.

+ ... a synchronize button for the GI environment and the background environment path
    + ... I would like to use relative texture paths
    + ... support of integrated alpha channals for texture maps

-> Many texture bundles are png or psd or tif or tga images with integrated alpha map. It's not a good workflow, to use two independent maps allways - color and transparency.

+ ... I would like to choose between, that invisible lights are visible in reflections or not.

-> At the moment the invisible light without visibilty in reflections cause strange looking results

+ ... IES lights

-> it a must for arch viz, my workaround is not a solution for the future. Could be one of the best features to sell VfR.

+ ... I miss to disable maps of selected materials temporary. I wish, each little texture "m" should get a flag option befor the "m" like the bump map option.
    + ... It could be great, if VfR would support a "camera projection" for textures. The RCM mapping tool dosn't do it and the last info from the McNeel team: not planed.

-> What would I do to get this feature? I have used it several times per Rhinoman|AIR. It's a dream to make very nice looking images for advertisment. It can bring much details per texture in a scene. Please let us talk about this feature. Could be one of the best features to sell VfR.

+ ... multiselection of materials (mat editor) could help to delete or duplicate a set of materials
    + ... more functions to mix two maps like multiply and addition. At the moment only "blend" is implemented.

I would replace the "blend" by "function". "Function" could show a dialog like the current "blend", but the user can set different functions like multiply, addition, blend .... . Example: I set a wall to a RAL acolor and could multiply this acolor with b&w map, that vary the intensity of the color. So I could get natural looking variations.

+ ... map control for the reflection options anisotropy and rotation (!)
    + ... physical environment system with sun

My feeling: new users of Maxwell use the physical sky and get nice images without any setup time. VfR should do it too. Also, it need much time to right setup a environment per HDRI and directional light. So, for arch viz the physical sky is must.

+ ... change the DOF aperture parameter from rhino units to lens F-stop units

Real life cameras F-stop values could help to get the right DOF effect without try-and-error.

+ ... network rendering
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

My most missed features

Wow you are matching my list almost to the letter !!

I would add 1 more thing,being able to remove the mapping on all the objects on aparticular layer.

Because if you have multiple mapped objects with differents mapping say orientation or position or even size on the same layer,now you can't selct all the objects at the same time and remove the mapping.Or can you ?

Renee

Comment

My most missed features

I know this problem, but I suppose so you this is a wish for the RCM developing team of McNeel. Joe has created a special RMC thread (I have set it "sticky" now).

http://www.asgvis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=923

Comment

Re: My most missed features

Originally posted by Micha
        Hallo,

the next SR is near and I think, my wishlist is so long, that I will try to make a small list of most missed features that I miss every day with some comments. I belive, this features would improve the work very much.
        I don't know all of the features we will go at for SR but I can give you my best guess.

+ ... to resize the progress window
        Yep, this shouldn't be a problem

+ ... a synchronize button for the GI environment and the background environment path
        We want drag and drop functionality along with many other changes to our UI - but I don't know that this will happen for SR.

+ ... I would like to use relative texture paths
        I would like to get this working. I have begun working out the details of this

support of integrated alpha channals for texture maps
        -> Many texture bundles are png or psd or tif or tga images with integrated alpha map. It's not a good workflow, to use two independent maps allways - color and transparency.
        I don't know that this is a request to us or to V-Ray. I can bring this up with Corey. The problem with this is when should I know that a user wants to use a map just for color or if the user wants to use the map for both color and transparency? I can see how this could get irritating to work in both separately, but it also gives more control I would think.

+ ... I would like to choose between, that invisible lights are visible in reflections or not.
        Again I'm not sure if this is a V-Ray issue or or a V-Ray for Rhino issue. I can find out.

+ ... IES lights
        I don't know if Chaos Group is making IES lights a priority. We may make IES lights in the future but I doubt it for a SR.

+ ... I miss to disable maps of selected materials temporary. I wish, each little texture "m" should get a flag option befor the "m" like the bump map option.
        Again, we plan on going through major UI changes. But there simply isn't time for them in this SR. I can't say we won't make a temporary fix, but I can't promise it either.

+ ... It could be great, if VfR would support a "camera projection" for textures. The RCM mapping tool dosn't do it and the last info from the McNeel team: not planed.
        Put this in the RCM request thread. The McNeel team has asked us if there is anything else we desire from RCM. They are open to our suggestions.

+ ... multiselection of materials (mat editor) could help to delete or duplicate a set of materials
        This falls under UI stuff - but this one isn't too complicated. It may be possible.

+ ... more functions to mix two maps like multiply and addition. At the moment only "blend" is implemented.
        We've discussed this, I'm not 100% sure if it will make it to SR though.

+ ... map control for the reflection options anisotropy and rotation (!)
        I do just have it hacked right now to always use channel 1. I should change that...

+ ... physical environment system with sun
        This one is pretty much guaranteed. Its already fully developed and just needs to be hooked up in Rhino.

+ ... change the DOF aperture parameter from rhino units to lens F-stop units
        V-Ray phys cam uses F-Stop.

+ ... network rendering
        This is a big task and I'm not sure we can squeeze it in for SR. It is a very high priority for us, but its a matter of time - we don't want to delay a SR for too long.

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.
        Best regards,
        Joe Bacigalupa
        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

support of integrated alpha channals for texture maps [/b]
          I don't know that this is a request to us or to V-Ray. I can bring this up with Corey. The problem with this is when should I know that a user wants to use a map just for color or if the user wants to use the map for both color and transparency? I can see how this could get irritating to work in both separately, but it also gives more control I would think.
          At the current texture interface I see an "invert alpha" option. I suppose so that this option is related to integrated alpha maps. So, best way would be, if you could add a "use alpha" option, so the user can choose to use the integrated alpha map or not.

+ ... It could be great, if VfR would support a "camera projection" for textures. The RCM mapping tool dosn't do it and the last info from the McNeel team: not planed.[/b]
          Put this in the RCM request thread. The McNeel team has asked us if there is anything else we desire from RCM. They are open to our suggestions.
          My last answer from McNeel some weeks befor was "no". From Rhinoman|AIR I know, that this function can be done at render engine level like the current environment mapping of VfR. Do the SDK of Vray support this function? If yes, please implement it. It's a wonderful feature.

[b]+ ... map control for the reflection options anisotropy and rotation (!)
          I do just have it hacked right now to always use channel 1. I should change that...
          I'm not sure what you mean - the current options anisotropy and rotation dosn't have a map control (maybe forgetten). So I don't understand "... channel 1".

Comment

My most missed features

... and I totaly forget an other little missed important very useful feature: a power intensity of rectangular lights independent from the size of the light. Example: if I create an interior, than I know that lamp A has 500W, lamp B 100 and lamp C 40W. At the moment it is totaly impossible to get the right ratio between the lights, if the lights have different sizes. Maybe it is not so much work to implement this basic arch viz feature. Is it?

Comment

My most missed features

An other importend basic feature is miss is, to set up the diffuse layer in Oren-Nayar mode. This little feature allow to render cloth - most importend for furniture with cloth covering. The default diffuse looks like Plasticine or wet clay. Any news here? If I informed right, 3dsmax support it.

Comment

At the current texture interface I see an "invert alpha" option. I suppose so that this option is related to integrated alpha maps. So, best way would be, if you could add a "use alpha" option, so the user can choose to use the integrated alpha map or not.
                I'll bring this up for discussion - I understand it can be an irritating extra step to use alpha thats already present in the image. I suppose the "Use alpha" checkbox or some other means would be a possible addition to the UI. I'd need to play around with this to see whats possible and what makes the most sense from a UI standpoint.

My last answer from McNeel some weeks befor was "no". From Rhinoman|AIR I know, that this function can be done at render engine level like the current environment mapping of VfR. Do the SDK of Vray support this function? If yes, please implement it. It's a wonderful feature.
                Ok, well I can add it to our list of stuff to look into. I might still toss the suggestion at McNeel to see if they still feel the same way about that.

I'm not sure what you mean - the current options anisotropy and rotation dosn't have a map control (maybe forgetten). So I don't understand "... channel 1".
                Yes there is no control exposed in the UI- behind the scenes I'm always mapping it to UV channel 1.
                Best regards,
                Joe Bacigalupa
                Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

My most missed features

An other importend basic feature is miss is, to set up the diffuse layer in Oren-Nayar mode. This little feature allow to render cloth - most importend for furniture with cloth covering. The default diffuse looks like Plasticine or wet clay. Any news here? If I informed right, 3dsmax support it.
                  I can ask - I'm sure its possible
                  Best regards,
                  Joe Bacigalupa
                  Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

My most missed features

... and I totaly forget an other little missed important very useful feature: a power intensity of rectangular lights independent from the size of the light. Example: if I create an interior, than I know that lamp A has 500W, lamp B 100 and lamp C 40W. At the moment it is totaly impossible to get the right ratio between the lights, if the lights have different sizes. Maybe it is not so much work to implement this basic arch viz feature. Is it?
                    We've wanted physical control of lights for a while but didn't have a chance prior to our initial release. I don't know if we can get this fixed by SR but its something high on our list of priorities. We do realize our current multiplier isn't ideal and varies so much depending on scene and distance from light source.
                    Best regards,
                    Joe Bacigalupa
                    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                    X